Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi issues with DHCP at work.

Hello. I have an iPhone 8 plus and recently updated it to the latest firmware and I'm having issues with connecting to wifi only at work.

I manage some hotels and the way the network at one of them is set up is with three wifi routers and the modem.

Each router has its own name and DHCP address list where 1 starts at 192.168.0.6 - 0.56 and 2 starts at 0.57 and so on. But whenever I connect to any of the routers it gives me the same ip regardless of where I'm connected to at work and I don't get any "internet" connection. It would say i'm connected to the network but none of my apps connect nor can I search anything in Safari.

This has started happening after I updated my phone.

Any help with this would be great.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Dec 26, 2018 6:13 PM

7 replies

Dec 26, 2018 6:54 PM in response to ovingiv

When a device connects to a network via DHCP, it will usually ask for the same IP address it had previously, which your DHCP server is free to honor or not.

With most hotel routers, an IP address is assigned but the device is not allowed through the firewall until the first DNS request occurs, which causes a redirect to the hotel's Terms of Use page.

You may want to investigate how your DHCP servers are configured and, when you have no connection, if when you enter the name of a site you had not previously been to (something like ibm.com) the DNS activity causes a redirect to your property's ToU page.

Dec 26, 2018 7:10 PM in response to ovingiv

Those are the Cloudflare DNS servers, so I suspect you are good there.

It still sounds as if when a device requests a previous IP address and is granted it, something in your router is not allowing access as opposed to when a new device requests a new address. Some routers have firewalls that are explicitly set up to work just that way.

You would have to check the logs on your router/DHCP server to troubleshoot that further, or ask your IT staff if you have one.

Can you access any sites at all when this happens, or do sites just all time out?

Wifi issues with DHCP at work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.