Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone's backup file is too large

Hi. I have an iPhone 7 with 256GB of storage; I've just bought a new iPhone X with 64GB of storage. I'm trying to transfer my information and data to my new iPhone. When I plug my iPhone 7 into iTunes, it shows 220 GB Free. However, when I back it up, the backup file is 68GB and it doesn't fit into my new iPhone. Is there a reason the backup file is twice the size of what my old iPhone has? How can I reduce the backup file size? I haven't been able to use my new iPhone since I need my information to be transferred.

Appreciate the help!

iPhone 7

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 8:33 AM

Hey PattyFlo,

Thanks for reaching out via Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having issues with the storage reported when you attempt to back up your device. I have some info that can help get your old iPhone backed up to restore to your new iPhone.

You would need to reduce the amount of data currently stored in your old iPhone before backing it up again. One way to do this would be to optimize storage and move large files like photos to iCloud Photo Library or by importing them to your computer and leaving them out of the backup. Take a look at these links here to help manage your storage on your old iPhone:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

About storage on your device and in iCloud

If you still need help with the back up, you could try backing up to iCloud and restoring from there as long as you have enough iCloud storage. Follow these links for more info:

iCloud: Back up your iOS devices to iCloud

If iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore 

You can also learn the options to transfer your data here: Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 8:33 AM in response to PattyFlo

Hey PattyFlo,

Thanks for reaching out via Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having issues with the storage reported when you attempt to back up your device. I have some info that can help get your old iPhone backed up to restore to your new iPhone.

You would need to reduce the amount of data currently stored in your old iPhone before backing it up again. One way to do this would be to optimize storage and move large files like photos to iCloud Photo Library or by importing them to your computer and leaving them out of the backup. Take a look at these links here to help manage your storage on your old iPhone:

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

About storage on your device and in iCloud

If you still need help with the back up, you could try backing up to iCloud and restoring from there as long as you have enough iCloud storage. Follow these links for more info:

iCloud: Back up your iOS devices to iCloud

If iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore 

You can also learn the options to transfer your data here: Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers.

My iPhone's backup file is too large

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.