Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Upgrade Running Slow (Now Fixed)

A couple of months ago I upgraded to Mojave and my iMac would not boot (2012 Late Model) and when it did, the computer was unusable. After 4 days with Apple support, I one back to High Sierra and did a data migration from a backup hard drive.

Using "About My Mac, Applications" I deleted as many 32 bit programs as was possible thinking this would help the upgrade process. Yesterday I again tried to upgraded my 2012 and later iMac to Mojave and my computer became unusable again.

Here is how I fixed my problem:

I went into a recovery mode (Option-Command-R) and did a total erase of my hard drive. (Prior, I did a full backup on both my time machine and external hard drive just in case. I powered down my hard drive). In recovery mode I did a clean generic install of Mojave with no user data, system configuration or applications installed. Mojave ran fine. I them did a data migration using the apple utility and only restored the system configuration data from my time machine backup. Mojave ran fine. Next, I did a data migration of just applications from my time machine backup. Again, Mojave ran fine. I then did a data migration of my user files from time machine. After completing, I had an exciting moment when everything worked. There were some miscellaneous files that showed up in the data migration utility that could not be identified. I did not load them.

When I purchased this computer, I updated it from my older MAC. I think some files from my old iMac configuration were interfering with the Mojave upgrade. This process only took 24 hours to complete but I am happy to say, I am up and running smoothly on Mojave (so far).

Good Luck.

Posted on Dec 27, 2018 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 3:46 PM

This is an update: I did a data migration on the "other data files" and it caused Mojave to break. I went through the steps outlined in my previous post and I am bak up and running. Whatever was in the "other data filies" is the cause of Mojave running slow.

Similar questions

1 reply

Mojave Upgrade Running Slow (Now Fixed)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.