Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create new library from music recoverd from old iPod

I have an iPod Classic. The computer on which it was synced died several years ago. I want to resync this device to my new Windows 10 computer without losing all the music on the device. I purchased a third party product which helped me retrieve the music files, but I can't seem to get iTunes to recognize the files, even though I have used the Advanced settings in iTunes to point to the iTunes Media folder which contains the files. Help??!

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 1:00 PM

Pointing the setting for the iTunes Media folder at a particular folder won't make iTunes read the files that are already there. You can either use File > Add Folder to Library, or move the content into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder inside the designated media folder for iTunes to add it. Make sure that the recovered files aren't marked as hidden.

See Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community for more on this topic. If your recovered files are missing metadata when imported to the new library then I may be able to help you retrieve some of that from your device. I also have scripts that can reclaim ratings, play counts, and playlists if those are important to you.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 1:00 PM in response to Willow62

Pointing the setting for the iTunes Media folder at a particular folder won't make iTunes read the files that are already there. You can either use File > Add Folder to Library, or move the content into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder inside the designated media folder for iTunes to add it. Make sure that the recovered files aren't marked as hidden.

See Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community for more on this topic. If your recovered files are missing metadata when imported to the new library then I may be able to help you retrieve some of that from your device. I also have scripts that can reclaim ratings, play counts, and playlists if those are important to you.

tt2

Create new library from music recoverd from old iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.