Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cocoa error -1

i can’t seem to record my screen, can some one help me fix it ?? apple service help.

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 29, 2018 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2018 7:58 AM

Hey there, irfan160,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. If I understand your post, you're trying to record your screen on your iPhone, but get an error message that the recording couldn't save, with the error Cocoa error -1. I'm happy to help!

There are a few reasons your screen recording may not be able to save. To help determine what is going on, I'd recommend first checking the storage on your iPhone, and making space as needed: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

If there is enough space but you still are unable to save the screen recording, try recording a different app to see if the issue is app-specific. If not, I would next recommend force closing all open apps: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support then restarting your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

After restarting, check to see if you are able to record your screen. Move onto the following steps if you still need help. Test the screen recording after each step, stopping when the issue is resolved:

1. Check for, and install, any iOS updates available for your device: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  2. Backup your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support, then reinstall the iOS software using the "Reinstall iOS" section of If you see the Connect to iTunes screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  3. Restore your iPhone to factory settings, and then set it up as a new device (meaning without restoring the backup you made in the previous step, at least temporarily): Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

Have a wonderful day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2018 7:58 AM in response to irfan160

Hey there, irfan160,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. If I understand your post, you're trying to record your screen on your iPhone, but get an error message that the recording couldn't save, with the error Cocoa error -1. I'm happy to help!

There are a few reasons your screen recording may not be able to save. To help determine what is going on, I'd recommend first checking the storage on your iPhone, and making space as needed: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

If there is enough space but you still are unable to save the screen recording, try recording a different app to see if the issue is app-specific. If not, I would next recommend force closing all open apps: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support then restarting your iPhone: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

After restarting, check to see if you are able to record your screen. Move onto the following steps if you still need help. Test the screen recording after each step, stopping when the issue is resolved:

1. Check for, and install, any iOS updates available for your device: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  2. Backup your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support, then reinstall the iOS software using the "Reinstall iOS" section of If you see the Connect to iTunes screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  3. Restore your iPhone to factory settings, and then set it up as a new device (meaning without restoring the backup you made in the previous step, at least temporarily): Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

Have a wonderful day!

cocoa error -1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.