Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Network Layer wants to make changes"

I get the above message every now and then, pretty sure it's not good. How can I get rid of it?

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 2:58 AM

5 replies

Dec 30, 2018 2:27 PM in response to Philjay50

Quit & Re-Launch Safari but don’t forget to press and hold the Shift button while doing it, so no previous pages can be opened up. Now, Click on Preferences in the Safari menu, and then again on the Extensions tab,

Select and Uninstall any extensions that you don’t recognize by clicking on the Uninstallbutton. If you are not sure and don’t want to take any risks you can safely uninstall all extensions, none are required for normal system operation.

The threat has likely infected all of your browsers. The instructions below need to be applied for all browsers you are using.

Again select Preferences in the Safari Menu, but this time click on the Privacy tab,

Now click on Remove All Website Data, confirm with Remove Now. Keep in mind that after you do this all stored website data will be deleted. You will need to sign-in again for all websites that require any form of authentication.

Still in the Preferences menu, hit the General tab

Check if your Homepage is the one you have selected, if not change it to whatever you prefer.

Select the History menu this time, and click on Clear History. This way you will prevent accidentally opening a problematic web page again.

Dec 31, 2018 4:24 AM in response to Holly Ditchfield Groll

Holly that is the exact same experience that I have had, not much information but several sites wanting to sell you anti virus software. A little disappointing to be honest. Strangely I also have a pop up from something like Mac Cleaner that is proving irksome to remove. I am a little annoyed that Apple are not switched on to these issues.

I will keep searching. Good Luck.

"Network Layer wants to make changes"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.