Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to watch a PAL region 2 DVD On DVD in OS X Mojave

I’m in USA and Planning to buy a DVD guitar video lesson created in UK in PAL format. I read somewhere years back that playing a PAL formatted DVD more than 5 times will cause the DVD drive to permanently maintain the PAL format

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 7:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 12:27 PM

You can set DVD regions on the optical drive 5 times, including the initial setting. After that, it is locked to the last setting.

The DVD regions have nothing to do with the video format (NTSC/PAL/SECAM).

The DVD regions are mainly for use with movies from the studios. Setting a region on a DVD disc is optional for the manufacturer. I would expect a guitar lesson DVD to be all regions/region free/region 0, but you should check with the retailer.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2018 12:27 PM in response to mistrp13331

You can set DVD regions on the optical drive 5 times, including the initial setting. After that, it is locked to the last setting.

The DVD regions have nothing to do with the video format (NTSC/PAL/SECAM).

The DVD regions are mainly for use with movies from the studios. Setting a region on a DVD disc is optional for the manufacturer. I would expect a guitar lesson DVD to be all regions/region free/region 0, but you should check with the retailer.

Jan 2, 2019 5:21 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Ok, clarification...Perhaps i confused the issue. According to retailer’s website, the DVD is PAL format only. Now do I understand you to say I have to “manually” set something (region) on my optical drive? If yes, then I do not intend to do this. I only want to be able to view the lesson without causing my optical drive to default (after 5 uses) to PAL. Thx for the response

How to watch a PAL region 2 DVD On DVD in OS X Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.