Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave - NO support for nVIDIA CUDA

Does anybody have a solution for this long standing problem?

macOS Mojave Version 10.14.2

No newer CUDA Driver available

CUDA Driver Version: 410.130  Update Required

No Update Available

GPU Driver Version: 355.11.10.50.10.103

NVIDIA Web Driver: 387.10.10.10.40.105 (Not Compatible) Last check was 12/30/18, 08:50

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac14,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Boot ROM Version: 133.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.15f7

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 4096 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x119e

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3782

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Thunderbolt Display:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 10:35 AM

24 replies

Feb 28, 2019 10:38 AM in response to XtremeArtists

Unfortunately that comparison is useless. Flash was deprecated long ago. Also, no iOS device shipped with Flash support.

I can't imagine why that is the case.

Since you missed the swing of the ol' cluebat, lemme learn you some knowledge : It's call highlighting the absurd by being absurd.

... but Mojave arbitrarily removed the support from machines that already had it from the factory.

Once again - There is nothing in Apple's history to show Apple makes arbitrary decisions, especially when it comes to hardware. Also once again - you may not like that decision, and I may not like that decision. The absolutely inarguable fact is we do not know how Apple came to that decision. We may never know. What we do know is history has shown us Apple is rarely wrong in those decisions.

I would bet my last dollar that Apple is doing something about it. We may not have any idea what that is, but rare is the time Apple stands down and does nothing. Shoot, for all we know Apple could - at this very moment - be raiding Nvidia for engineers to create its own video hardware. Apple may even be figuring out how to buy Nvidia if they believe that is what it takes. Another inarguable fact is nobody will get Apple to move faster by stomping their feet, or storming a forum demanding something be done.

Something will be done. It will be done when Apple says it is done. Whatever is being done will not be rushed by you, or me, or anyone throwing a tantrum.

Apr 11, 2019 11:15 AM in response to XtremeArtists

Per Apple's Legal page :

"This Warranty does not apply to any non-Apple branded hardware products or any software, even if packaged or sold with Apple hardware."

Also :

"Apple does not warrant that the operation of the Apple Product will be uninterrupted or error-free. "

Again - Apple is under no moral, ethical or legal obligation to "make" NVIDIA technology "work" with the Apple ecosphere.

Dec 30, 2018 11:24 PM in response to dialabrain

Apple's recently released macOS 10.14 (Mojave) does not support CUDA. For CUDA developers who are on macOS 10.13, it is recommended to not upgrade to Mojave. Developers may not be able to use Xcode 10 to build GPU applications or run CUDA applications. Both macOS 10.13.6 and Xcode 9.4 support CUDA and work great with CUDA 10. NVIDIA is working with Apple to get Mojave to support CUDA.

Jan 9, 2019 10:56 AM in response to Dana Hoch

I basically have the same existing question. I made the mistake of upgrading to this OS because I thought my editing in Adobe Premiere Pro would run much smoother. I have a late 2012 27-inch iMac with the GTX 680 graphics card. My rendering and playback have suffered tremendously and I've searched for a way to upgrade my computers (which I believe is the point). The threads I've tracked down discussing this issue, mentions that NVIDIA has the drivers but Apple won't release them at this time.

I purchased an iMac Pro 8-core, the basic model after much frustration, only to find the rendering and playback speeds were almost identical. There was possibly a 10% change in speed, exports were definitely much faster though. This issue is actually because of Adobe Premiere Pro, they do not fully support multi-cores, therefore you cannot use the full capability of this machine at the time.

Sorry to say you will have to downgrade to an older OS to fix web driver, but I would only do so if you are 100% certain you have fully backed up your machine from the OS. IF you didn't back up the entire machine from that OS you'll be like me, waiting in constant wonder about this upgrade. Hope this helps.

Feb 28, 2019 8:36 AM in response to XtremeArtists

It's ridiculous that Apple does not support CUDA drivers under Mojave on a machine that shipped with an NVIDIA GPU.

It's ridiculous that Apple does not support Flash under iOS 12 on a machine that shipped with the Safari web browser.

Apple does not make arbitrary decisions. You may not like the decisions. I may not like the decisions. The reality is the decisions were made by people that know a lot more about the decision than we ever will.

Feb 28, 2019 8:46 AM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

"It's ridiculous that Apple does not support Flash under iOS 12"

Unfortunately that comparison is useless. Flash was deprecated long ago. Also, no iOS device shipped with Flash support.

My computer shipped with an NVIDIA card and support for NVIDIA CUDA drivers. Apple has removed the main feature for which I bought my iMac.

CUDA acceleration is currently supported under the current versions of Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premier – but Mojave arbitrarily removed the support from machines that already had it from the factory.

Feb 28, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

If this was a thought out decision on Apple's part, it creates ill will among its customers.

Receiving constant prompts to update to macOS Mojave on a machine that shipped with an NVIDIA GPU seems rather arbitrary. If I update, as Apple keeps telling me to, I will lose CUDA acceleration that is part of my workflow.

There is no technical reason my unmodified computer cannot support CUDA. This is a business decision by Apple that is negatively affecting users who rely on CUDA acceleration.

Apr 10, 2019 3:17 AM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

"Another inarguable fact is nobody will get Apple to move faster by stomping their feet, or storming a forum demanding something be done."

Another inarguable fact is that Apple doesn't gain reputation from current customers if takes its time and that customers paid money for something that mac is responsible to make it work its been long time and no solution, no update & no comments.

I switched to mac more than a decade ago for its stable working and what happens now can not be called so. I'm a big fan of mac but getting very disappointed. And I don't see a reason why I should be thinking whats "cooking" with apple plans or why its doing it, not my issue. I want is the machine I paid to work.

At least prior update if Apple could warn that CUDA will not be working I would appreciate that and consider as a customer care service. Pure indifference.

Apr 11, 2019 9:06 AM in response to DonDanteRV

DonDanteRV wrote:

Another inarguable fact is that Apple doesn't gain reputation from current customers if takes its time and that customers paid money for something that mac is responsible to make it work its been long time and no solution, no update & no comments.

Apple is under no moral, ethical or legal responsibility to "make" NVIDIA technology "work" with the Apple ecosphere. As I have stated before - you may not like that. I may not like that. We do not control the technology or IP - Apple does. Apple will do as they will with the property they own. Apple has reasons for doing what they did - indeed, are doing - and we may never know the reason(s) behind the decision(s). History has shown us Apple is rarely wrong when it comes to decisions about their hardware. Whatever the reason(s), it is a sure bet this was not a hasty decision arrived at in a slap-dash, shoot-from-the-hip fashion.

Apr 11, 2019 9:10 AM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

"Apple is under no moral, ethical or legal responsibility to "make" NVIDIA technology "work" with the Apple ecosphere. "

This is a discussion about computers that Apple chose to sell with internal NVIDIA GPU.

My computer was sold with an NVIDIA video card, and is currently listed as supported by Apple under High Sierra and Mojave.

When Apple sold it to me, it my computer had CUDA support. Now under both High Sierra and Mojave it does not.

Apr 11, 2019 1:07 PM in response to XtremeArtists

You can, but you would lose.

After all - you willingly agreed to the legal contract with Apple, where what you now view as unethical behavior was completely, clearly and unambiguously explained in detail. Where, then, is the unethical behavior if you utterly agreed to said behavior with full and total knowledge available to you?

Are you seriously going to argue you were unethical to willingly enter into a unethical contract? Logically, that is the only refuge available to you.

Mojave - NO support for nVIDIA CUDA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.