Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-case-sensitive drive partition? Please help!

Can i create a second partition volume on my macbook pro with a non-case-sensitive format and install Lightroom cc? It wont install on my main drive now as it is case-sensitive. Appreciate any help!

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 6:13 PM

MacOS never modifies itself. So a re-Install of MacOS installs a perfect clean system, identical to the original. This saves about 30GB and nearly 350,000 files.

Your added Applications would need to be saved, or re-installed from fundamental sources. Applications themselves is not difficult, but licenses and keys can be a nightmare.

Your Userid has many settings in it that would be captured in a backup of your Userid, as well as documents and emails that are not part of any project.

--------

If your computer exploded in the next few minutes, these would be the things you would be missing between your Projects Backup and a full Backup (with or without MacOS included).

When an external drive cost over US$1000, it was nutty to suggest we keep a full backup on a drive. But today, you can get a nice fairly large external enclosure with drive for under US$100.

MacOS has Time machine built in, and can backup whatever you need. Time machine's "claim to fame" is that it is the backup that gets done, because it does not ruin performance of the rest of the computer while doing its backup operations. You do not have to set aside a "Special Time" when you only do backups. When you need it, your Time machine Backup is much more likely to be there.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2018 6:13 PM in response to sondre240

MacOS never modifies itself. So a re-Install of MacOS installs a perfect clean system, identical to the original. This saves about 30GB and nearly 350,000 files.

Your added Applications would need to be saved, or re-installed from fundamental sources. Applications themselves is not difficult, but licenses and keys can be a nightmare.

Your Userid has many settings in it that would be captured in a backup of your Userid, as well as documents and emails that are not part of any project.

--------

If your computer exploded in the next few minutes, these would be the things you would be missing between your Projects Backup and a full Backup (with or without MacOS included).

When an external drive cost over US$1000, it was nutty to suggest we keep a full backup on a drive. But today, you can get a nice fairly large external enclosure with drive for under US$100.

MacOS has Time machine built in, and can backup whatever you need. Time machine's "claim to fame" is that it is the backup that gets done, because it does not ruin performance of the rest of the computer while doing its backup operations. You do not have to set aside a "Special Time" when you only do backups. When you need it, your Time machine Backup is much more likely to be there.

Dec 30, 2018 5:40 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hey, Grant. Thanks for the quick response.

I do currently not keep a trusted backup of my entire system. I Only keep backup of my projectfiles for work on a external hard drive. What would be the cleanest way to do this reformating process with the entire system backup? AS it seems there is no workaround on this issue. Its not the first time it’s happened either.

Non-case-sensitive drive partition? Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.