Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original Apple Watch (1st Generation, Model A1553) not charging more than 10%

I spent the whole weekend troubleshooting my original Apple Watch (1st Generation, Model A1553) and thought I’d proactively share my experience with you.

I had the original Apple Watch (1st Generation, Model A1553) and then got the Apple Watch (Series 2, Model A1757). For the remainder of this post, I am simply going to refer to my original Apple Watch (1st Generation, Model A1553) as my "Apple Watch." My Apple Watch had WatchOS Version 2.x.x. I can't remember the digits for the xs, but it was definitely an older WatchOS version.

Since then, I lost my original Apple Watch 1st generation, Model A1553 charger. My Apple Watch collected dust, but I continued to charge it successfully on the Apple Watch Series 2 (Model A1757) charger from time-to-time, just to keep it going. A few weeks ago I decided I was going to regift my Apple Watch and give it to a family member to pair with their iPhone. However, my Apple Watch would not charge above 10% despite charging to 100% previously. I confirmed the outlet, brick, and charger were working fine.

During the past two weeks it went through awkward cycles of showing the notification mandating the WatchOS update (removed by pressing the "Dismiss" button), charging up to 5% and rapidly dropping back down to 1%, and rebooting, all while properly mounted on the Series 2 charger and within a 5-minute (maximum) time span. I performed extensive troubleshooting, including a soft and hard reset, unpairing/repairing, and letting it die completely and then placing it on the charger for 24 hours straight without touching it. (It was so hard to refrain from touching it!) Nothing worked.

I stalked these forums and Google to investigate solutions, but came across very little, which is why I'm proactively posting. There was a statement I came across that suggested the Apple Watch could only be charged on the original charger it came with because the older WatchOS software suddenly blocked the Apple Watch's ability to charge on other Apple Watch chargers. Now this is a cyclic problem. The Apple Watch needs to be above 50% to update the WatchOS software, but I couldn’t get the charge above 10% because I didn’t have the new WatchOS software. Because my Apple Watch was less than 50% and because I lost my original Apple Watch charger, I would be up the creek if this theory was true.

Today I went to the Apple Store in Pioneer Place in Downtown Portland, OR. What a great team despite the long wait and massive post-Christmas newbie crowd. Luckily, they had an original Apple Watch charger and my Apple Watch charged just like normal. Once it hit 50%, I was able to download the updated WatchOS software (4.3.2) onto my Apple Watch. I was also able to confirm that my Apple Watch could once again, be charged by my Apple Watch Series 2 (Model A1757) charger.

It's important to note that this is true as of today 12/30/2018 at 10:12 PM Pacific Time. It is possible that a future version of WatchOS may block this ability for the original Apple Watch (1st Generation) to be charged on any Apple Watch chargers.

Apple Watch

Posted on Dec 30, 2018 10:13 PM

There are no replies.

Original Apple Watch (1st Generation, Model A1553) not charging more than 10%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.