Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistency between mac photos and icloud.com

Hi,

so I've enabled iCloud Photo library and it says sync is complete with 145K Photos. So far so good. But when I login to icloud.com I see only 141K Photos.

Furthermore my local Photo Library is 205GB, while icloud uses only 150GB. Any suggestions, how I can get them back to sync completely?

Best, Jens

Macbook (2016 or later)

Posted on Dec 31, 2018 12:59 AM

19 replies

Jan 7, 2019 9:38 AM in response to jumland

See these articles https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204264

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/photos/from-icloud-photos-phtf5e48489c/4.0/mac/10.14

Turn on iCloud Photos

If you’re not already signed in to iCloud, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud and sign in with your Apple ID and password. 

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, choose Photos > Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Select the iCloud Photos tickbox.

You must select .

• Download Originals to this Mac: Stores the full-size versions of your photos both on your Mac and in iCloud.

Read this also https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/photos/change-photos-preferences-pht5156cc968/4.0/mac/10.14

Jan 8, 2019 12:40 AM in response to jumland

Clearly I'm hoping somebody who knows checks in, here, and I'm going to follow up with my take on that question but it is noteworthy that nobody has yet clicked on "I have this question too." But first I'd be curious to know:

• is the # of videos shown on the Mac ~4K?
  • do you have iCloud Photos enabled on any other devices?
  • do you have My Photo Stream enabled on any devices?
  • do you have any RAW image files?
  • do you have Optimize Mac Storage enabled?
  • Are you able to find any images on the Mac that don't show up in iCloud via random spot-checking? If you could find at least a few, you could go from there based on conspicuous common denominators.
  • do you have any file types on the Mac that are not on this list from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264:
File types that you can use with iCloud Photos
Your photos and videos are stored in iCloud exactly as you took them. All of your images are held in their original formats at full resolution — HEIF, JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, HEVC, and MP4 — as well as special formats you capture with your iPhone, like slo-mo, time-lapse, 4K videos, and Live Photos.

Jan 21, 2019 3:57 PM in response to jumland

OK. I’m guessing that the number of Photos (= photos & videos) of not unable to upload to iCloud Smart Album is now equal to the # of photos and videos in iCloud.com Photos. In fact, I’m guessing all of these #’s are equal:

• Photos and Videos at the bottom of the Moments tab in iCloud.com Photos
  • All Photos # of items at the top/right under the Photos tab in iCloud.com Photos
  • Photos Library # of items at the top/left under the Photos tab in macOS Photos

If so, it seems possible you may have the same problem albeit different manifestation as discussed here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7785024?answerId=31102686022#31102686022

Ok, so I am not sure what is happening; however, I had determined that there are a lot of duplicates and some of them there is no information in the exif data anymore - just shows no camera information available when the exact same photo further up in the all photos list has all the data. I am not sure how this has occurred but it seems to have.

I have gone through and exported 1000 block photos at a time and when the numbers were not matching, made the blocks smaller until I found the exact row of 10. One example was, I selected 10, said export and it exported 8 of them. I then went through and exported the exact same row again, image by image and it did all 10. So there seems to be some sort of bug in the Photos.app; however, I can't determine what it is!

The author identified some kind of transient false duplicates in macOS Photos library via process of elimination. You might try to do the same i.e. count or select all for one given time frame after another but simultaneously in both macOS Photos as well as iCloud.com Photos until you find a discrepancy and narrow it down until you find the actual discrepants. If/when you find some discrepants, see if they aren’t false/erroneous duplicates and/or look for any other common denominators e.g. file type et c. Be careful selecting massive quantities of Photos all at once. One false click from there and who knows what could blow up.

Jan 15, 2019 10:03 PM in response to jumland

My compliments to you for the update. It looks as though the number had gone up a little and was still tallying i.e. Saving at which time that image was captured. If so, has it by now completed? I've got a good one for you unless you already knew. The Smart Album Photo filter actually includes videos! In any case, what's the latest round of numbers?

• Photos as summarized by macOS Photos
  • Videos as summarized by macOS Photos
  • Photos and Videos as summarized by iCloud.com Photos
  • Videos within de facto album of same name within de facto Media Types album
  • Photos (= photos and videos) within Photo is not unable to upload to iCloud Photos Smart Album

Then I'll submit my thoughts for your approval.

Still continuing to yield the floor as well, hoping anybody checks in to help resolve this discrepancy.

Dec 31, 2018 9:32 AM in response to jumland

I believe so but I have no proof. I would peruse the library and look for any inexplicable duplicates or triplicates et c. that might show up in Photos on the Mac but not iCloud.com or vice versa, particularly as relates to photos you've received via iMessage and saved to Photos from there. Then I guess I would see if there's a bunch of stuff I deleted that's still hanging around in one but not the other place.

Jan 10, 2019 3:13 AM in response to jumland

Thanks and I salute you for exhibiting this Smart Album calculus for I was not fully aware of it! 💪🏻

I would go ahead and actually create both of those albums and give them a day or two to fully tally up and then see if the numbers don't reconcile. Also curious if you could create another couple of Smart Albums, one to tally up the RAW files and another for HDR and state the results.

Jan 18, 2019 11:22 AM in response to jumland

Earlier you wrote " 205GB, while icloud uses only 150GB. "

That is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. Your Mac is storing additional working copies, so your Photos Library on the Mac will use roughly 25% more storage than is used in iCloud.

But the difference in the numbers of photos is disconcerting.

Which system version is running on your Mac? And on your iPhone?

Are any photos in the Bursts album?

Inconsistency between mac photos and icloud.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.