Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FINAL CUT 7 exporting XML stops at 66%

Trying to export XMLs from FCP7 projects from circa 2010-2013 so I can update into Premiere Pro CC projects. A newer FCP7 project from 2016 works fine. But the older ones pause exporting at 66%. I have OS Sierra 10.12.5 on this mid-2012 Mac so I may continue using FCP7 but wish to update my projects so I can update the OS as well. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and found a solution. Suspect it has something to do with the fact that those projects were made during an older OS?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 31, 2018 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 9:32 AM

Hi Studio X. Thank you for the time in assisting. Although my goal was to XML out to Premiere my entire Final Cut 7 projects (which worked for my more recent FCP7 project from 2016), I did try your method of going bit by bit of one timeline at a time into a new project to see if I can salvage at least parts of the whole thing. It does export an XML in full this time, but no matter which combination of selections of the two older FCP7 projects' timelines I try this on, it winds up importing a mess in Premiere (nothing shows up in the timeline assembled, all the clips/audio files etc. are disorganized outside of any bins in the assets section). It would be the same as if I just rebuilt the entire timeline (which isn't a great option since they are both feature-length films).

The fact that when attempting to export an XML for the entire original project stops at 66% is curious because someone else has the exact same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7801052 I feel like it would be an odd coincidence that we both happen to have problems at the 66% point of our timeline. And also, it's not just one timeline we're exporting but the entire project. Which makes me go back to wonder if it's got something to do with the OS our Macs are on (even though I refrained from upgrading to the next OS which would have killed FCP7). I have a mid-2012 Mac Pro tower (cheese grater) with Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73).

Thanks if you or anyone else may have other tips.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 9:32 AM in response to Studio X

Hi Studio X. Thank you for the time in assisting. Although my goal was to XML out to Premiere my entire Final Cut 7 projects (which worked for my more recent FCP7 project from 2016), I did try your method of going bit by bit of one timeline at a time into a new project to see if I can salvage at least parts of the whole thing. It does export an XML in full this time, but no matter which combination of selections of the two older FCP7 projects' timelines I try this on, it winds up importing a mess in Premiere (nothing shows up in the timeline assembled, all the clips/audio files etc. are disorganized outside of any bins in the assets section). It would be the same as if I just rebuilt the entire timeline (which isn't a great option since they are both feature-length films).

The fact that when attempting to export an XML for the entire original project stops at 66% is curious because someone else has the exact same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7801052 I feel like it would be an odd coincidence that we both happen to have problems at the 66% point of our timeline. And also, it's not just one timeline we're exporting but the entire project. Which makes me go back to wonder if it's got something to do with the OS our Macs are on (even though I refrained from upgrading to the next OS which would have killed FCP7). I have a mid-2012 Mac Pro tower (cheese grater) with Sierra 10.12.5 (16F73).

Thanks if you or anyone else may have other tips.

Jan 17, 2019 8:17 AM in response to veladacinema

Try this with the projects that are not exporting.

• Create a new project

• Cut and paste the timeline from the original into it

• Delete the second half of the timeline in the newly created project timeline

• Export as an XML

• Repeat the steps above but this time delete the first half of the timeline then export.

Does it work?

If the first try worked but not the second (or vise versa) - something is wonky in the half that doesn't export.

If each try worked, something is wonky in the original project or it was too long.

If neither try works, something else is going on and more data is needed.

x

Feb 19, 2019 9:08 AM in response to veladacinema

I use older OSes so cannot pull up a project on Sierra.

Couple of things I have used in the past - Have you tried different XML version on the export (if option still available in that OS?) Are all the files connected properly in the timeline (no missing files?) Also do the file names have any spaces, leading ".". or paths that have spaces? I have run into issues there sometimes. Example Instead of a Folder Called "My Movie Files" with a movie called "This Is My Vacation" I will name folders My_Movie_Files and This_Is_My_Vacation.

Something else to try is to reinstall the OS that originally came with the computer - Lion of some kind based on Everymac probably. Not sure if you having Sierra installed will cause issues/allow you to rollback. Sometimes I have to take extra steps on a reinstall when dealing with the new OSes and trying to install the older ones on another partition. If you have an old clone, you can clone it to another drive in the machine or even boot via FireWire if needed.

FINAL CUT 7 exporting XML stops at 66%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.