Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac LOCKSCREEN Trouble

I have the newest MacBook Air and I can't change the LOCKSCREEN (not desktop wallpaper or screensaver). The lockscreen should be the background image you see behind your icon when your mac starts after a shut down or restart. Why is it so impossible and why can't I change it?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 31, 2018 8:13 PM

13 replies

Jan 1, 2019 10:45 PM in response to KathyKim

Interesting. Try dragging that file to your Mac's Desktop, rename the file to Mojave.heic there, and then drag it into the folder where the original Mojave.heic resides. You will need to authenticate—a requirement for making any change to that folder.

As I recall that's what I did... no particular magic required.

Be sure you archived the existing Mojave.heic file as I wrote, or select "keep both" when the Finder asks you to resolve the duplicate file name.

FYI these are my Finder Preferences:

Change the ones regarding filename extensions to match them, at least temporarily. It might be related.

Jan 1, 2019 11:05 PM in response to KathyKim

I have no doubt it's not supported. Whatever you do is also likely be undone upon the very next macOS update. I'm at a loss to explain why it's not working for you.

I suspect there is something I am not explaining well but I don't know what it could be.

Just to be sure it wasn't something related to Photos I also tried dragging this photo exported from my Photos Library and renamed it:

No problem.

Jan 1, 2019 9:41 PM in response to KathyKim

The Mojave login screen background image is /Library/Desktop Pictures/Mojave.heic. You can change it.

To navigate to the image file directly, copy and paste the above bold text in the Finder's Go menu > Go to Folder... field and click the Go button.

A Finder window will open with that file already selected. You can change it to whatever you want, but its name still has to be Mojave.heic and its dimensions have to be appropriate for your Mac's screen resolution.

I recommend creating a duplicate of the existing file first so that you can undo whatever you do.

Jan 2, 2019 6:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

That's a good thought but I did not need to convert the image or change its file format. All that was necessary was to rename an image (a jpg, in my example) to Mojave.heic and put it in place of the original. macOS didn't care.

Although I do not know the reason Apple chose that particular file format, it's not a requirement for the OP's purposes. It and Solar Gradients.heic are the only ones in that folder using that format. That's also the reason I think the modification won't stick after a macOS update, and the reason Apple said changing it wasn't supported.

Mac LOCKSCREEN Trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.