Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeat & shuffle functions on iPod generation 6

How do you get playlists to repeat? Tapping the shuffle button doesn’t change anything.

Posted on Jan 1, 2019 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2019 10:46 AM

My first reaction was; "I'm not sure why you would expect the shuffle button to cause a playlist to repeat". However, I think I see what is happening.

When you go into a Playlist (which includes the Songs, Genres etc. playlists), the options buttons are:

• Play
  • Shuffle

You have to start the Playlist playing, by tapping the Play button. Once the first song begins playing, you have to bring up the full Now Playing screen (by tapping the Now Playing banner at the bottom of the screen). Once on the Now Playing screen, you need to pull that up a bit in order to see the extra controls below. There you will see the additional buttons:

Shuffle

Repeat

Note that the Shuffle button has moved to the left and that the Repeat button is on the right. Also, note that the Repeat button cycles through the following options when you tap it. When the button is:

• light grey button with red text - Repeat is off
  • red button with white text and arrows, Repeat the Playlist*
  • red button with white text and with a small 1 in the arrows - Repeat 1 song is on (this will repeat the same song over and over, until you stop it)

* Note that when the last song in the playlist is playing, the Up Next list (below the song currently playing) will be empty. However, once that song ends, the playlist re-starts and the Up Next becomes populated again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2019 10:46 AM in response to russfromgilbert

My first reaction was; "I'm not sure why you would expect the shuffle button to cause a playlist to repeat". However, I think I see what is happening.

When you go into a Playlist (which includes the Songs, Genres etc. playlists), the options buttons are:

• Play
  • Shuffle

You have to start the Playlist playing, by tapping the Play button. Once the first song begins playing, you have to bring up the full Now Playing screen (by tapping the Now Playing banner at the bottom of the screen). Once on the Now Playing screen, you need to pull that up a bit in order to see the extra controls below. There you will see the additional buttons:

Shuffle

Repeat

Note that the Shuffle button has moved to the left and that the Repeat button is on the right. Also, note that the Repeat button cycles through the following options when you tap it. When the button is:

• red button with white text and arrows, Repeat the Playlist*
  • red button with white text and with a small 1 in the arrows - Repeat 1 song is on (this will repeat the same song over and over, until you stop it)

* Note that when the last song in the playlist is playing, the Up Next list (below the song currently playing) will be empty. However, once that song ends, the playlist re-starts and the Up Next becomes populated again.

Repeat & shuffle functions on iPod generation 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.