Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

XR Will Not Discover Bluetooth Devices

My new XR will not discover any of my previous Bluetooth devices.

I have carried out a soft and hard reboot, turned Bluetooth mode on and off, selected forget device, cleared my Bluetooth list from my device (Bose wireless headphones) and set to pairing mode.

However, my phone will still not find the device even in pairing mode. The same things happen when trying to connect to my car and Bose sound bar. Thanks in advance.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 2, 2019 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 2:54 PM

Hello Akkey73,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking for help with connecting bluetooth devices to your iPhone. I am happy to help.

Please verify you are setting this up as per the help article here: Pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you still have trouble, please try the troubleshooting provided in this help article: If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, check this help article for help connecting to your car stereo: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod doesn't connect to or work in your car - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2019 2:54 PM in response to Akkey73

Hello Akkey73,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking for help with connecting bluetooth devices to your iPhone. I am happy to help.

Please verify you are setting this up as per the help article here: Pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you still have trouble, please try the troubleshooting provided in this help article: If you can't connect a Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Also, check this help article for help connecting to your car stereo: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod doesn't connect to or work in your car - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Jan 4, 2019 12:07 PM in response to Akkey73

Hello Akkey73,

Thanks for trying our steps. I recommend the next steps.

Reset the AirPods to ensure the issue is not with them. Get help with your AirPods - Apple Support

"1. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap the icon next to your AirPods.1 Then tap Forget This Device.

2. Put your AirPods in the case and close the lid. Wait 15 seconds, then open the lid.

3. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until you see the status light flash amber a few times, then flash white.

4. Place your AirPods close to your device. Follow the steps on your iOS device's screen."

If the issue remains and since this only started after upgrading the iOS, I recommend making a backup of your data before the next steps. You can make a backup in iCloud or iTunes using this article: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

After your data is backed up, I recommend reinstalling the iOS using iTunes. The reason we need to use iTunes for this step is to get a new copy of iOS installed to your device. Use this article to reinstall the iOS: If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Please pay close attention when you reach step 4. Once your iOS is reinstalled, test if the issue is still occurring. Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

XR Will Not Discover Bluetooth Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.