Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Ipad Pro 12.9 User Guide or Manual

Have owned my new Pro for a month now and finally trying to work with it, have never had one before.

Is there a User Guide or Manual for this specific model?

I have found User Guides for IPads in general but my concerns are for specific areas of this Pro, for instance the camera has different settings and I need to know how to use it. If you purchase a camera, you can get a user guide, I need to be able to search specifics.

Using Google brings up many many search results for older iPads, cameras, photos questions etc. The Apple site is helpful for many general tutorials and info but surely there must be something available? I received an email offering an online tutorial which will be helpful but even more helpful would be sending a link to the user guide so I can familiarise myself before taking up the online tutorial with further questions.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a link to a PDF or site link for this specific manual.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 8:45 AM

Apple only does a single manual (for the Books app, they no longer do the manuals in PDF) which covers all iPad models e.g. for iOS 12.1.1 : iPad User Guide for iOS 12.1.1 by Apple Inc. on Apple Books

It's also available online : https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/welcome/ios

Or your country's Bookstore may have books specifically covering the iPad Pro

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2019 8:45 AM in response to Vicki Johnston

Apple only does a single manual (for the Books app, they no longer do the manuals in PDF) which covers all iPad models e.g. for iOS 12.1.1 : iPad User Guide for iOS 12.1.1 by Apple Inc. on Apple Books

It's also available online : https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/welcome/ios

Or your country's Bookstore may have books specifically covering the iPad Pro

Jan 3, 2019 8:54 AM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you for the reply.

I found the general iPad guide but it doesn’t relate to specific camera settings unique to the Pro 12.9

Have spent hours online googling advice and answers and watching hours of videos only to find they don’t relate specifically to the new features.

Its just a simple thing really, a how to for a device, great for the Apple experts who pick up things quickly but not encouraging for new users.

Jan 3, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Vicki Johnston

The iPad Users guide for iOS 12.1.1 has a whole section dedicated to the iPad’s camera starting on page 170 and which yiu can easily get to using the guide’s table of contents icon in Apple Books.

This section is pretty extensive and seems to cover quite a bit of stuff on iPad's camera and camera app.

It most definitely covers all of the iPad's camera settings.

IPad camera settings start on page 176 of the user guide.

There is 12 pages dedicated to the iPad’s camera.

What else do you need to know about this?

Jan 3, 2019 7:06 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you,

the two first things I wanted to find out about were not in the iPad Users Guide, which is using Portrait mode for photography.

i asked in an online IPad Pro users forum about the photos I was taking and how bad the colour was.

It was suggested I try Portrait mode and HDR ....

Firstly there was no HDR on my camera screen to turn on, also the only option for Portrait mode was taking a selfie, not using the rear facing camera.

After many hours on searching for why my Portrait mode wasn’t working I finally found a recent review saying it doesn’t work with the rear facing camera, only selfies. Not quite sure why they call it Portrait, the only Portrait it takes is of your own face.

After hours of trying to work out why the HDR icon was missing I finally discovered it comes preset in Smart HDR which disables the HDR icon. Once I turned that off in Settings the HDR icon appeared on the camera screen, it was worrying me that my expensive iPad was missing HDR.

These should be mentioned in a guide but without a guide specific to this model we have to work it out ourselves, not having used iPad cameras before I was concerned there was something wrong with my $2000 plus iPad Pro.

i am still concerned about the poor quality of the photos and colour reproduction as it is way off but you have helped with the iBooks version of the iPad guide at least its a start.

Personally I think the lack of user friendly instruction for newer models is a deterrent for customers switching over as so much time is spent trying to figure things out, asking on forums, etc. I had a chat with an Apple expert and he sent a link for the iPad guide but once off the chat the link was incorrect. Not everyone has followed Apple products since inception and adapted to changes as they happen so it would be helpful to encourage new converts by making instruction easily accessible. At least send a link to the guide once purchased.

Jan 3, 2019 8:29 PM in response to Vicki Johnston

According to the iPad guide it says to take a selfie, switch to rear facing camera.

Yes, that's what I've always heard the selfie camera called as well. The front facing camera is the one that's facing toward the front if you're holding the phone.

ETA: In older versions of the iPad manual, they refer to the "camera on the front" of the iPad being the one you take selfie's with. But, obviously, it faces to the rear. So, easy enough to get confused.

Jan 3, 2019 9:31 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

When I read rear facing camera, I have always interpreted that to be the camera on iPad's backside.

Now, I feel confused.

You can't take a selfie ( well you can, but you’ll fight to get a good shot ) using the iPad’s rear/ backside camera!

I have always called the front iPad screen camera the front facing FaceTime/Selfie camera, which that front screen camera actually IS!

( throwing my arms around, like a gorilla, now!... maybe a grunt or two! )

Jan 4, 2019 6:34 AM in response to MichelPM

When I read rear facing camera, I have always interpreted that to be the camera on iPad's backside.
Now, I feel confused.
You can't take a selfie ( well you can, but you’ll fight to get a good shot ) using the iPad’s rear/ backside camera!
I have always called the front iPad screen camera the front facing FaceTime/Selfie camera, which that front screen camera actually IS!

I think the problem is that two different terms are being used and they are indeed confusing. The front-facing camera is the camera on the rear of the phone, also called the rear camera (or, in the old manuals, iSight Camera). It faces toward what is in front of the phone. The camera on the front of the phone is the rear-facing camera (formerly Facetime camera). It takes pictures of what is behind the phone. All of this assumes that you are holding the phone in front of you with the screen facing you, of course. If you hold the phone differently, all bets are off. ;-)

( throwing my arms around, like a gorilla, now!... maybe a grunt or two! )

New Ipad Pro 12.9 User Guide or Manual

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.