Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install macOS Mojave on Macbook PRO 2012

Dear Community,

i'm already very frustrated. My SSD died few days back and I bough a new Samsung EVO SSD for my Macbook Pro 2012. Although MacOS Mojave was installed on my old SSD (Crucial) that died.

However, it is not possible to install any MacOS version on the new SSD without the "Version is not comaptible with your Hardware" Symbol (See Attachments). Might it has something to do with the SAMSUNG SSD? I found a similar post (without result) from september 2018 in the same scenario.

Although I was able to setup Mountain Lion, upgrade to El Capitan and download Mac OS Mojave, it always keeps on hanging whenever I start the installer.

Here is what I've tried:

1. Installing Mojave on clean disk with bootable USB Stick . Result : It keeps on hanging with the Symbol attached. (Stop symbol). Independently how long I keep it running.
  2. Installing Mountain Lion first, and then executing the Mojave installer. : Same result, system reboots and keeps on hanging
  3. Also when trying to install mountain lion the first time, it also threw lots of errors.

I would be very happy if someone could help me.

Best regards

Markus

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 11:34 AM

Hello,

thank you for your answer. One question: How can this be the problem if i'm still able to see the drive and to use the drive ? Also I can install Mountain Lion on my SSD.

However, I will give it a try. Maybe it will work.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 3, 2019 11:31 AM in response to markus209

The test is to use the drive in an external enclosure, bypassing the internal drive cable. (Your mac can install, boot, and run that ways, despite not being quite as portable.) works in an external enclosure but not inside your Mac may men you need to replace the drive cable.

MacBook Pro models, especially 13-in from about 2009 through 2012 often have trouble with the drive cable.

The cable takes a very sharp bend and then chafes against the machined inside of the aluminum casing, wearing away the insulation between wires..

Jan 8, 2019 9:26 PM in response to markus209

Hi!

You were right. The HDD Cable was broken. After exchange I was able to install macos again.

it was not possible to directly install mojave from USB or by Timemachine Restore. I made it by installing Mountain Lion first and then I‘ve directly upgraded to Mojave through the App Store.

That is my Solution for this Problem. Thank you for this useful hint!

Unable to install macOS Mojave on Macbook PRO 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.