Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Harddrive icon does not appear on the desktop on my iBook G4, 6.5.

Never gets to the desc top, finder ends up with a blinking question mark. I reset the Parameters and the Power. How do you erase the drive and install a new clean system on that?

My iBook starts up and seams to run perfectly in Target Disk Mode by Firewire with another same model iMac G4.

Also starts up on my Leopard install DVD but DiskUtil. only shows the DVD and the superdrive icon. The

internal drive is spinning.

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 11:33 PM

Could be the hard drive is defective; or perhaps a cable may contribute to an failed state.

An Apple Hardware Test could be performed (detailed instructions for older mac with

OS X install restore disc can be found online, or in older archived instruction) to check.

And an externally enclosed hard drive (enclosure would need boot-capable chipset to

run the Mac) and formatted for HFS+ is a place to start. The enclosure should be self-

powered with its own external power source; you could run the Mac from a Clone.

So assume the original HDD and/or cable has failed and would need replaced, to test.

If you already have a suitable prepared hard drive with FireWire connections and its

own power supply, with almost any period Mac OS X clone, that may be worth trying.

Ones specific to PPC Mac are necessary, because a clone of Intel-based Mac won't work.

And the hardware for use of PPC boot-capable clone has by nature a niche for just this.

An optical combo drive (internal) or external combo/superdrive with 'oxford chipset'

is another possibility to try & boot a correct system install DVD and see if that locates

the hard drive. A failed hard disk drive &/or bad cable could exhibit what you've found.

You may be able to find suitable external enclosures for use with hard drives from such

places as macsales/owc that can be used to run older Mac OS X via clone/copy. This

kind of active backup can be helpful to troubleshoot older Macs with PowerPC hardware.

Certain archives on how to do these vintage tests & repairs can still be found online. As

I have several older Macs, and no time to re-consider what I'd done decades ago, I'll leave

this at that.

Both hardware and software needs to be troubleshooted. To include known-good replacement.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2019 11:33 PM in response to Walter Wedler

Could be the hard drive is defective; or perhaps a cable may contribute to an failed state.

An Apple Hardware Test could be performed (detailed instructions for older mac with

OS X install restore disc can be found online, or in older archived instruction) to check.

And an externally enclosed hard drive (enclosure would need boot-capable chipset to

run the Mac) and formatted for HFS+ is a place to start. The enclosure should be self-

powered with its own external power source; you could run the Mac from a Clone.

So assume the original HDD and/or cable has failed and would need replaced, to test.

If you already have a suitable prepared hard drive with FireWire connections and its

own power supply, with almost any period Mac OS X clone, that may be worth trying.

Ones specific to PPC Mac are necessary, because a clone of Intel-based Mac won't work.

And the hardware for use of PPC boot-capable clone has by nature a niche for just this.

An optical combo drive (internal) or external combo/superdrive with 'oxford chipset'

is another possibility to try & boot a correct system install DVD and see if that locates

the hard drive. A failed hard disk drive &/or bad cable could exhibit what you've found.

You may be able to find suitable external enclosures for use with hard drives from such

places as macsales/owc that can be used to run older Mac OS X via clone/copy. This

kind of active backup can be helpful to troubleshoot older Macs with PowerPC hardware.

Certain archives on how to do these vintage tests & repairs can still be found online. As

I have several older Macs, and no time to re-consider what I'd done decades ago, I'll leave

this at that.

Both hardware and software needs to be troubleshooted. To include known-good replacement.

Jan 7, 2019 12:23 PM in response to Walter Wedler

For hard drive replacements, the rotational OEM hardware is at best very rare & may be found only in 'used' state.

A problem with these models (iBook white G3/G4) is their hard drives and internal parts can be problematic to

remove and replace, without secondary issues - damages - to otherwise OK wires, parts, etc. This is main problem.

An upgrade to SSD (ATA-IDE legacy part available from macsale/OWC) would be near ideal; if you could test prior

to take-apart and see about making correct installation of Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5 OS X. And to use original DVD

for the model iBook series or newer would be workable.

120GB Mercury Legacy Pro 2.5-inch 9.5mm IDE/ATA Solid-State Drive

OWC Mercury Optical iBook G4 internal Super-Multidrive Upgrade for all iBook G4 12"/14" Laptops

(Sometimes a mac hard drive which has no correct format will not appear on the desktop.)

NewerTech Universal Drive Adapter USB Bare Drive Adapter

(won't work with FireWire -clone- but maybe USB could work otherwise to set up new HDD)

Their site is searchable and offers replacement optical drive for iBook G4. Other vendors may have parts, owc will

guarantee theirs have been tested in the devices so intended; and have been fair toward serviceability & value.

You may have seen a few of the online guides to repair or replace parts, some fix-it and other powerbook medic

etc and may be familiar with internal issues. My iBook G4 (mid-2005) still works OK, with original 40GB 4500 RPM

HDD and Combo optical drive. A newer battery from owc a few years ago still works; I've recalibrated it a few times.

Also have a first edition macbook1.1 13-inch 1.83GHz coreduo; been using TenFourFox-G3 as browser. It works OK.

At this time cannot attest or suggest other actions; you may need a suitable external enclosure to set up and test

the replacement HDD or an SSD, and run the mac from there. A boot-capable enclosure may be inquired of from

the owc customer service & could be a source for vintage/obsolete information. (As you need not buy to get.)

Jan 7, 2019 8:44 AM in response to K Shaffer

I am sorry to take so long to get back: (holiday madness)

Thank you so much K. Shaffer for your helpful comprehensive information!

Your suggested hardware test seemed the answer to finding the system folder-drive icon or other problems. 

Although I had a PowerMac G4 Hardware test CD as well as Tiger through Leopard commercial install CDs, DVD, I could not get the hardware test working holding the D or C keys as well as the startup disk a. option methods. I guess that is because they are specific to the desktops i got them for. 

Starting up on install CD, DVD and an external Firewire drive, also target disk mode all started the iBook G4, PowerBook6,7 A-1133 but without giving me the internal disk icon. Since I cant get to Disk Util. I tried to start up in single users to do the fsck. Holding the command,s keys it won’t go to single users! Of course I tried all the resets over and over.

I guess replacing the drive is next? I do not trust the solid state drives, can I buy a new Ultra ATA/100 hard drive?

Thank you again for all your help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.