Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2010 - Won't boot into Start up manager - Mojave

I have 2010 Mac Pro running Mojave that will not boot into startup manger. Upon holding the option key on boot I receive no hdmi signal even though my Mac will be running. I have waited an hour, still no signal. I can still successfully boot into safe mode, and recovery mode.

• I have tried using a wired Apple keyboard
  • I have tried resetting SMC, PRAM, ect.
  • I have used first aid with disc utility.
  • I have no pending updates.
  • I have tried this on a second 2010 Mac Pro with the same results.
  • Through googling this issue I have found other people with this issue, but no solve just people asking the above. I have seen a few posts about MBP with this issue with 2017 model years

Any ideas?

Thanks Ryan

Posted on Jan 3, 2019 7:11 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 3, 2019 10:31 PM in response to Ryan013

for mid-2010 to mid-2012 if upgraded with a recommended Metal-capable GPU

macOS Mojave will run on the following Macintosh computers,

macOS Mojave drops support for many older Mac models because it relies on Metal, which requires Intel HD and Iris Graphics 4000 series or newer, AMD GCN-based GPUs, or Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs or newer.

Jan 4, 2019 7:15 PM in response to Ryan013

You don't list what video card you have and I'm a lousy guesser.

Unless it is one of the original "Metal compatible" Mac cards that shipped with or was sold as Mac compatible then the cards listed as supported from Apple have limited support and will not give you a Loading Screen (Loading bar with grey screen when you first start up) or a boot manager (pressing Option). Not in High Sierra either. If you search the web there are hacks and workarounds for getting them to work. There is a web site that does sell "flashed" metal compatible cards that may give you what you need. Apple may or may not bring full support in the future.

You should be able to use the "Startup Disk" manager in your Preference folder to select any boot-able disks you have mounted in the mean time.

Jan 4, 2019 8:34 PM in response to Jaygyver

I have the [MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5] apple listed for Mac Pro 2010 - 2012.

HERE: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

Everything works besides Start up manager. I get the apple logo and loading screen for regular boot, safe mode, recovery mode.

ONLY start up manger leaves me hanging. I have not found anything saying these are only partially supported. Can you point me to where you read this?

Jan 5, 2019 12:58 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I guess I can qualify my statement a little, the made for Apple or shipped with the computer METAL capable cards can be used to uprade the MacPro 2010-2012 to 10.14. without having to jump through hoops to update the MacPro Firmware that's required to run Majave. It seems you have to have an EFI capable card to do both.

It's been a while since I've looked around but here's one I kinda remember.

https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/mac-pro.1/

Have a look through here, this is one of the places I got a head ache from. Some are older 3,1 and 4,1 upgraded to a 5,1 but they explain more then I can.

For example, a SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5 is the one that Apple specifically mentions, but it seems some get a boot screen and some don't. Any other version like my MSI Armour RX 580 doesn't get either. Boot or Load screen. (technically it isn't the exact one, it has to be the Pulse) but is one of the Apple "Might be supported" cards. Everything works other wise.

But macvidcards dot com sells the others with a flashed firmware for the MacOS.

Nvida does make a web driver that supports most of their cards but you would have to wait for new drivers every time Apple updates the MacOS at this point.

Sorry I couldn't remember more.

I'm still on H Sierra but when I get time I am going for Mojave.

Mac Pro 2010 - Won't boot into Start up manager - Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.