Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Screen Recordings

QuickTime screen recordings often record only a small portion of what was playing - like 4 minutes of a 3 hour webcast. Sometimes - maybe one in 5 attempts - it records the complete event. Hard drive capacity is not an issue; software is up to date - MacOS 10.14.2. I’ve checked the container where the auto save files are located, and the files won’t open. The machine even had a clean install last week.

What could be causing it to fail so often?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 10:37 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 6, 2019 10:34 AM in response to jobro8

I’ve tried several things to overcome the issue. The only thing that seems to work is to wait some time after stopping the Quicktime recording. By “some time” I mean 15 minutes or so. Before saving or even just playing the recorded “Untitled” screen recording. I’m sure there is some explanation to this; maybe it’s a coincidence; maybe less time is needed. What I can say is I’ve done it twice like this and both times the recordings came out fine.

I’m not sure if it needs time to finalize the temporary “Screen Recording” file in the auto save container. But there is NO indication that any work is still being done under the hood. When I have time I will do some more tests to see if this is consistent, and what kind of time might be required (e.g. how long to wait per minute of video).

And maybe this this will help someone else out there.

QuickTime Screen Recordings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.