Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 3253 - Network connection reset

I seem to randomly have a problem where I'm downloading an album on Apple Music in iTunes and I get an error on one or two songs that says "Error = -3253 Network connection reset".

I'm not sure why I keep getting this. Anyone have any problems with this?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 11:39 AM

Hello JKENT,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're receiving a -3253 error in iTunes when you're downloading music.

This type of error can have a few causes, and I have a link with some great general iTunes troubleshooting steps to get started: If you see an error in iTunes on your Mac or PC.

If you try those steps and find you still receive the same error, try booting your Mac into safe mode. There's a possibility that third-party software is causing the error, and testing in safe mode may help to rule that out: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Once you log in, test it out to see if the same behavior occurs. If it doesn't, click the Apple menu () > Restart to get back to normal, and then test again.

If you find it works in safe mode but not on a regular startup, this will be your next best step: Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software. The error message you provided is in the range shown in the link, so these may help you get up and running.

You might also try creating a temporary administrator account and then logging in there to see if you can download without errors. This will tell you if you have a system-wide or account-specific issue: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

I hope these steps help you.

Kind regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2019 11:39 AM in response to JKENT

Hello JKENT,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're receiving a -3253 error in iTunes when you're downloading music.

This type of error can have a few causes, and I have a link with some great general iTunes troubleshooting steps to get started: If you see an error in iTunes on your Mac or PC.

If you try those steps and find you still receive the same error, try booting your Mac into safe mode. There's a possibility that third-party software is causing the error, and testing in safe mode may help to rule that out: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac. Once you log in, test it out to see if the same behavior occurs. If it doesn't, click the Apple menu () > Restart to get back to normal, and then test again.

If you find it works in safe mode but not on a regular startup, this will be your next best step: Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software. The error message you provided is in the range shown in the link, so these may help you get up and running.

You might also try creating a temporary administrator account and then logging in there to see if you can download without errors. This will tell you if you have a system-wide or account-specific issue: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

I hope these steps help you.

Kind regards.

Error 3253 - Network connection reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.