Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

drobo/time machine still has error

to follow up on another thread:

its 2019, Mac OS Mojave and my drobo 5D is still unable to complete one backup without getting the dreaded error: “An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk.”

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2019 6:47 PM

Apple has never licensed AFP. All of the NAS manufacturers use a crippled implementation of AFP that was cobbled together. Since it is so buggy, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Time Machine required AFP and it needed to the correct AFP.

Most reports I have seen users get successful backups, but can never restore.

Time Machine can now be used over SMB which is essentially public.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2019 6:47 PM in response to jabbaworks

Apple has never licensed AFP. All of the NAS manufacturers use a crippled implementation of AFP that was cobbled together. Since it is so buggy, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Time Machine required AFP and it needed to the correct AFP.

Most reports I have seen users get successful backups, but can never restore.

Time Machine can now be used over SMB which is essentially public.

Jan 4, 2019 6:19 PM in response to jabbaworks

Up until now, Time Machine on a Drobo (or any network storage short of a Time Capsule) was not supported, regardless of what Drobo sold to you.

With Mojave, Apple does support use of other Network storage as a backup destination if it supports Time Machine over SMB.

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

Any NAS that was designed to proved Time Machine support over AFP is not supported and very often doesn't work.

drobo/time machine still has error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.