Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight crash Mojave 10.14.2

I have a serious problem with Spotlight causing the Mach kernel to crash. Here is the error from EtreCheck (where "Plantage" means crash):

2018-12-31 20:27:24 mds Plantage

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mds

dyld3 mode

-[MDSClient handleXPCMessage:] (/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/Spotlight/Spotlight-1191.53/server/MDSClient/MDSClient.m:1344) failed assertion -- Mach error 15: (os/kern) invalid name

So concretely my Mac often crash when I wake up the machine after many hours of sleep like for example early in the morning. I hit a key then the Mac wake up and displays black screens for a few seconds and then it restarts completely. It does not display the login screen like it should. After restarting, I have no problem logging in.

Here Spotlight constantly crash on High Sierra - Apple Community someone is suggesting this command:

sudo mdutil -E /

I just tried it. It means that the Spotlight index at the root of the file system needs to be erased and rebuild. I don't know if it is effective yet. Spotlight will probably run tonight, so I'll see tomorrow morning if it is effective.

MacBook Pro Retina (2015 and later)

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 8:02 AM

I was able to solve the problem using this command to delete some files at the root of one of my volumes in FAT32:

rm -r .Trashes ._.Trashes

Since then, I had no crash.

Similar questions

1 reply

Spotlight crash Mojave 10.14.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.