Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleaning MacBook cooling vents

Recently, my Macbook's fans have far more frequently been triggered when I visit certain websites, like weather and dailymail. I've run multiple ant-virus/malware utilities so I am quite certain my laptop is clean from that perspective. But, to say my laptop is physically grime-y would not be much of an exaggeration, so I'm wondering if I should have my computer cleaned. Any other ideas -- or suggestions about getting it cleaned? Does Apple do that sort of thing?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 5, 2019 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 7:50 AM

the problem just started a few days ago after I purchased, installed and ran the McAfee Total Protection software.

No wonder. You don't need virus scanning software on a Mac. They use up lots of resources which makes your computer work hardd = generates heat = fans run to cool the computer. Uninstall McAfee. Also don't feel tempted to install any "cleaning" tools such as MacKeepr or CleanMyMac. Virus scanners and cleaners are almost always implicated in topics here where somebody complains about a slow computer.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2019 7:50 AM in response to timothyfromdavidson

the problem just started a few days ago after I purchased, installed and ran the McAfee Total Protection software.

No wonder. You don't need virus scanning software on a Mac. They use up lots of resources which makes your computer work hardd = generates heat = fans run to cool the computer. Uninstall McAfee. Also don't feel tempted to install any "cleaning" tools such as MacKeepr or CleanMyMac. Virus scanners and cleaners are almost always implicated in topics here where somebody complains about a slow computer.

Jan 5, 2019 9:47 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the reply! I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Late 2013 model) -- I've never opened up my laptop ... not sure where to even begin. It is interesting that the fans only kick in on graphics-intense websites, like Dailymail and Weather.com -- and that the problem just started a few days ago after I purchased, installed and ran the McAfee Total Protection software.

Jan 6, 2019 8:02 AM in response to timothyfromdavidson

No wonder. Remove it. Virus scanners use a lot of resources = working hard = generating heat = fans run. Virus scanners and cleaning tools (e.g. MacKeeper, CleanMyMac) are both often implicated in topics you see here complaining about a slow computer.

Apple, um, frowns upon us posting links to sites detailing do-it-yourself computer repair, but if you do a web search for something like MacBook Pro late 2013 fan cleaning you will probably find tips. Also depending upon when you actually bought the computer it may still be within the service life where Apple might actually have a look at it for this or some other problem and depending upon what fan cleaning involves you may void Apple ever doing anything with it. All that said, I bet once you remove the virus scanner you may decide it doesn't need cleaning unless you have a house full of cats.

Cleaning MacBook cooling vents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.