Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Unable to Detect Cinema Display

I have new iMac 27-inch 5K with Retina display, running Mojave 10.14.2. I am trying to connect my old 23-inch Apple Cinema Display and bought the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, and a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to go from the Mini DisplayPort adapter to the iMac. From what I read previously on other threads, I though this would work. But it has not. I have tried:

• Restarting
  • Rebooting
  • Using Option Detect in System Preferences > Displays

But the iMac is not detecting the Cinema display. Any suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 6, 2019 11:23 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 6, 2019 5:05 PM in response to Midlake

The Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter doesn't work with Mini DisplayPort adapters.

You need a USB-C to MiniDisplayPort adapter, such as:

https://www.uptab.com/uptab-usb-c-type-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

(Many USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapters don't support DVI adapters. The one I linked says it does support them.)

The power button and USB ports are working because they use the display's USB cable, not DVI.

iMac Unable to Detect Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.