Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fidelity lack adequate support for Active Trader Pro on macOS

Very frustrated with Fidelity investments. They say they have a Mac version of Active Trader Pro but it doesn't install on Mojave. And recently won't even load on Mojave on machines that had previously worked.

Very frustrating.

Has anyone had similar problems. Any solutions that have worked?

Posted on Jan 8, 2019 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2019 9:03 AM

I have continued to work with Fidelity on this issue. One concern is the roll to the next Mac OS which will not support 32 bit apps which is what they have now with their wine wrapper. (It does seem to wine in a non drinkable way.) The told me that they are rolling but this will not improve speed nor stability for those of this that have issues.

They said that they are working closely with Apple. This I suspect is BS as Apple expects programs to be ported to their OS or run under Bootcamp if it has not.

They also said that there are just to many Mac configurations for them to test. This is also big time BS. The beauty of Mac, and I'm from a product development background from a major PC supplier, is that they minimize the number of configurations which concentrates testing.

They also communicated that they have no plans to port to a Mac. So if your using Fidelity ATP and have issues on a Mac your out of luck.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2019 9:03 AM in response to RussMendenhall

I have continued to work with Fidelity on this issue. One concern is the roll to the next Mac OS which will not support 32 bit apps which is what they have now with their wine wrapper. (It does seem to wine in a non drinkable way.) The told me that they are rolling but this will not improve speed nor stability for those of this that have issues.

They said that they are working closely with Apple. This I suspect is BS as Apple expects programs to be ported to their OS or run under Bootcamp if it has not.

They also said that there are just to many Mac configurations for them to test. This is also big time BS. The beauty of Mac, and I'm from a product development background from a major PC supplier, is that they minimize the number of configurations which concentrates testing.

They also communicated that they have no plans to port to a Mac. So if your using Fidelity ATP and have issues on a Mac your out of luck.

Jan 16, 2019 3:22 PM in response to MMCCAR

I spent a lot of time trying to install the. Fidelity support just repeatedly has you download over and over. It just continues to fail to load. The same thing over and over. It's a waste of time until they fix the problem. Previously on other Mac's the support was great and they looked at things made changes and things worked.

I wouldn't waste much time with this. They suggested mr going to windows.

Jan 16, 2019 3:59 PM in response to jfbuck1

Apple pretty much expects developers to distribute their products through their App Store. It's the way of the future, and as you already know Active Trader Pro is a highly Windows-centric product in that it relies upon their "dot net" framework... another bad idea from Redmond which will be relegated to the same fate as everything else they come up with. It has never been fully implemented on anything other than Windows. That means no mobile support whatsoever (except perhaps for Windows Phone and it's already dead).

I tried installing Active Trader Pro and gave up. Admittedly I didn't try very hard. The point is you shouldn't have to though.

I wouldn't waste much time with this. They suggested mr going to windows.

Nor would I, and I'd tell them where to stick that suggestion. Use Fidelity for what they do best. They should leave programming to programmers.

Feb 22, 2019 7:38 PM in response to MMCCAR

I'm running Active Trader Pro on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3 with no problems. Also ran it on earlier versions of Mojave. It sometimes doesn't shut down properly but if I Force Quit it shuts down OK. I do sometimes find that my Mac reboots at odd times and so far have been unable to find out why it is rebooting. Maybe Active Trader Pro??? Don't know.

I seem to recall that if it installs incorrectly and must be reinstalled there are some hoops to jump through to make sure it is completely removed before attempting to reinstall. Can't remember if I got support from Apple Help or if it was from Fidelity App Support.

Apr 9, 2019 10:45 AM in response to MMCCAR

I have three Macs including a 13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, Mac Mini running a 2k display, and a newer iMac 5k. The iMac is the highest performance but it runs the worst of the three. I used a 1080 display on the Macbook but that did no good. When I make a graph full screen the app crashes during the day. I monitor CPU usage and I can see that right after the market opens the CPU usage goes through the roof and stays that way till the market closes. I have an old Windows machine that it runs fine on and uses little CPU time. Fidelity does not take ownership of the issue. Mostly they claim it works fine but occasionally they acknowledge it is an issue. It seems to be using 32 bit mode but that does not explain the performance issues. I hate Windows but may have to buy one to keep around.

Apr 11, 2019 5:08 PM in response to MMCCAR

I responded below with my experience but have more information. I have a Windows (UGH) machine that it runs on well. Two comments here. On the Windows machine the app is running in 64 bit mode while on the Mac it is 32 bit. This is not the bigeest issuem but probably related.

The real problem is that this is not running directly on the Mac. According to Fidelity it runs on Crossover - which per Fidelity is is a version of Wine that is required to run Windows applications on the Mac. Wine is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications. However apparently not well and the combined app does a poor job.

As an example I added a second display off my iMac that was 1080 hoping that this might help. When I moved apps over there they were fine with the expception of ATP which was visible but not functioning.

Good luck but I doubt it will work well - this is not an app ported to the Mac.

Fidelity used to have a browser version but when they fixed all the problems they gave us this. Schwabb still runs in a browser on a Mac TD Ameritrade has an app but I dont know how good it is.

Fidelity lack adequate support for Active Trader Pro on macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.