You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch, Spotify and wireless headphones

Hi

I have my Apple Watch series 3 and I want to listen to music from spotify in my wireless headphones, but when I press play it is heard on my iPhone and not in my headphones, what can I do to listen to the music in my headphones?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jan 9, 2019 6:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 10:57 AM

I have this issue as well. I have the Spotify app on my Apple Watch. I turn on my wireless headphones and everything else from Apple Watch plays through my headphones (Apple music, Nike Run Club etc.). But when I go to use Spotify it plays through my phone. When I try to change the device Spotify plays through, my headphones aren't an option. This happens connected to Wifi or not.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 15, 2019 10:57 AM in response to BobHarris

I have this issue as well. I have the Spotify app on my Apple Watch. I turn on my wireless headphones and everything else from Apple Watch plays through my headphones (Apple music, Nike Run Club etc.). But when I go to use Spotify it plays through my phone. When I try to change the device Spotify plays through, my headphones aren't an option. This happens connected to Wifi or not.

Feb 18, 2019 3:52 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Please tell me this is a (really really bad) joke! Why make a watch with a heavy profile towards health, sports and excercise, and then tell a wearer, that he needs to take his phone along on the run, if he wants to hear is favorite music on Spotify!??? Doesn't it kind of defy the purpose of getting the watch in the first place then?? Why build an app for the watch if it needs to play through the phone?????

Jan 9, 2019 4:50 PM in response to Miguel3410

Do you have the Spotify Apple Watch app?

https://support.spotify.com/uk/listen_everywhere/smart_watches/apple-watch/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/13/18063838/spotify-apple-watch-download-features

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/13/spotify-apple-watch-2/

Otherwise, it sounds like you just have Spotify on your iPhone, and you should then pair your Bluetooth headphones to your iPhone.

NOTE: Even if the Spotify Apple Watch app will play music from the Apple Watch, you will need to have a network connection. If on WiFi that will work. If you have a GPS only version, then away from WiFi you will need your iPhone to access the network. If you have a Cellular Apple Watch and you have added the Apple Watch to your cellular plan, then that will give you networking.

Feb 18, 2019 4:06 PM in response to jeppe272

Please tell me this is a (really really bad) joke! Why make a watch with a heavy profile towards health, sports and excercise, and then tell a wearer, that he needs to take his phone along on the run, if he wants to hear is favorite music on Spotify!??? Doesn't it kind of defy the purpose of getting the watch in the first place then?? Why build an app for the watch if it needs to play through the phone?????

Shouldn't you be telling that to Spotify?

Apple did provide Apple Music that will stream through an Apple Watch.

And of course you can download your own music to the Apple Watch, or I'm told Pandora will also allow you to download offline music to your Apple Watch.

Feb 19, 2019 2:02 AM in response to BobHarris

Ok... If you're saying that this is purely bad programming from Spotify, then I sincerly apologize for my angry message! Just seemed soo weird that all apple apps works with the bluetooth headset, but not either InTune Radio and Spotify (The only two apps I use, and the reason why I bought the watch - Music and running).

And yes, you have your apps, but don't want to pay for yet another service, so when I read that your watch supports Spotify, I think it is pretty obvious that I perceive it as being possible to use it with a headset, and then I run thrilled to the store and get one. Think this kind of marketing is a bit misleading, and I will deliver the watch back to the store today.

But again. If this is an error - or mistake - from Spotify, I am sorry for filling your ears with my bitterness.

Kind Regards

J

Mar 16, 2019 3:16 PM in response to jeppe272

Yes...I too, purchased the watch with the intent to use downloaded Spotify playlists as I have the Premium family package. Fortunately, my family had purchased a lot of music through iTunes in the past, so I have been able to create a playlist for running. Certainly not the same as using Spotify. I also have the cellular version of the Series 4 watch, so I thought that would definitely be the answer. I feel your pain...

Apple Watch, Spotify and wireless headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.