Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve won't boot correctly

Hello, I've been trying to boot my old Xserve G5 Node Cluster 2x 2.3GHz, and I've run into a problem.

When I press the power button, the machine simply responds to no action and the fans slowly ramp up to maximum RPM after a bit. The yellow identifier light is lit, and does not turn off after being pressed. No other lights than the power light come up. The server is not locked. I'm fairly certain it is stuck looking for a head-node, and I have attempted to enter the firmware boot commands via holding the identifier light after pressing the power button, but the blue processor lights do not flash or anything. I've attempted to remove the on board battery, and I tried to reset the PMU, however my service manual is for the G4, so the exact button and setup is unclear. I would like to be sure I am not going to damage my system.

Any help would be great,

-Thank you.

Rack Mount Servers

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 12:31 AM

There are no replies.

Xserve won't boot correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.