Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Utility Reports Incorrect Link Speed on 2018 Macs

Has anyone else noticed that Network Utility reports an incorrect link speed in 2018 Macs?

My real link speed is 450 Mbps on a 801.11n router at 5GHz, as reported by MacOS when I option-click the WiFi icon in the menu bar. But Network Utility reports only 54 Mbps.

I've reproduced this bug on every 2018 MacBook and iMac I've tested in local BestBuy and Apple Stores, all running Mohave. My own MacBook Pro is running High Sierra 10.13.6, but the OS doesn't seem to matter. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way Network Utility interacts with the new network adapter/driver in the 2018 Macs. The problem doesn't seem to affect 2017 and earlier Macs.

Until I discovered the option-click method described above (you can also get the same information by doing a System Report under "About this Mac"), I had no other way to determine my link speed. I thought there was something wrong with the computer or my router. But as far as I can tell the problem seems to be with Network Utility.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 9:53 PM

Same issue with my mid-2018 rMBP15". It pains me to see such low speed, considering both my macbook and router are capable of "ac" speeds. Even iStat menu (see screenshot) reports illogical "Link Speed", which is lower than the actual "transfer rate".

Sometimes, when keep changing the wifi channel settings on my router's settings page, I get the correct link speed in the rage of 1170mbps, but that only stays until the next reboot of my macbook pro. than it again goes back to a meager 54mbps 🤔

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2019 9:53 PM in response to itwsanta

Same issue with my mid-2018 rMBP15". It pains me to see such low speed, considering both my macbook and router are capable of "ac" speeds. Even iStat menu (see screenshot) reports illogical "Link Speed", which is lower than the actual "transfer rate".

Sometimes, when keep changing the wifi channel settings on my router's settings page, I get the correct link speed in the rage of 1170mbps, but that only stays until the next reboot of my macbook pro. than it again goes back to a meager 54mbps 🤔

Network Utility Reports Incorrect Link Speed on 2018 Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.