Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clicking on phone number on Safari brings up Skype - but FaceTime has NO preferences for "default" app

all the posts say open FaceTime -> Preferences and change Default App -- I have latest version of FT, Version 5.0 (3080), and there is NOTHING in FT Preferences for this(!)

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2019 9:08 AM

Hello bbbbobbb,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities.

If I understand correctly, when you click a phone number in Safari, it opens Skype and you don't see an option to change this. Is that right? Do you still have Skype installed on your Mac in Finder > Applications?

Checking your FaceTime preferences was a great idea, since that setting does affect how phone number-formatted URLs behave: Change preferences in FaceTime on Mac. If you don't see the "Default for calls" option in FaceTime > Preferences, try clicking Sign Out in FaceTime. Then, sign back in and see if this helps.

If it doesn't, try clicking Apple menu () > Restart and then test it out.

You mentioned you're running the latest FaceTime version. Are you also running the latest macOS software? If you're not running macOS 10.14.2 there, updating your macOS software is a great next step:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

How to update the software on your Mac

I hope this helps!

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2019 9:08 AM in response to bbbbobbb

Hello bbbbobbb,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities.

If I understand correctly, when you click a phone number in Safari, it opens Skype and you don't see an option to change this. Is that right? Do you still have Skype installed on your Mac in Finder > Applications?

Checking your FaceTime preferences was a great idea, since that setting does affect how phone number-formatted URLs behave: Change preferences in FaceTime on Mac. If you don't see the "Default for calls" option in FaceTime > Preferences, try clicking Sign Out in FaceTime. Then, sign back in and see if this helps.

If it doesn't, try clicking Apple menu () > Restart and then test it out.

You mentioned you're running the latest FaceTime version. Are you also running the latest macOS software? If you're not running macOS 10.14.2 there, updating your macOS software is a great next step:

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

How to update the software on your Mac

I hope this helps!

Cheers.

clicking on phone number on Safari brings up Skype - but FaceTime has NO preferences for "default" app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.