Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp installation error : could not partition disk

Hi,

I’ve been trying to use BootCamp Assistant (BCA) to install Windows and I keep getting “disk could not be partitioned”. Before even trying I restored the MacBook Pro 2017 with TouchBar without backup, I don’t need no backup.

I tried most things I found online ;

• Tried runing Repair in Disk Utility,
  • Restarted in Single User mode (Cmd + S) and typed in the commands to repair the disk,
  • FileVault is OFF,
  • TimeCapsule is OFF,

I believe I’ve done more but cant remember (that’s a whole other issue that Apple can’t help me with...)

Any ideas ?

My next and last move is gonna be to go to an AppleStore’s Genius Bar to restore with Sierra, so my disk is in MacOS Extended Journaled, try install BootCamp, then update the Mac partition.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 7:40 PM

See APFS Overallocation Issues and Remediation - Apple Community .

Similar questions

13 replies

Jan 12, 2019 2:50 PM in response to Loner T

/dev/disk0 (internal):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         251.0 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1

2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk1         250.7 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +250.7 GB   disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            42.9 GB    disk1s1

2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 44.4 MB    disk1s2

3:                APFS Volume Recovery                517.0 MB   disk1s3

4:                APFS Volume VM                      1.1 GB     disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (disk image):

0:                            CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US... +5.1 GB     disk2

------------

Here's a screenshot, easier to read.

Thanks for helping

Jan 12, 2019 6:12 PM in response to _TheArchitect_

I also tried partitioning in any other type, even APFS, and it failed. Seems to me like a SSD failure... Although the Apple Diagnostic did not find anything wrong. I'll most likely end up going to the nearest Apple Store when I've got the time and let them figure this out...! If you still got ideas though, feel free to keep answering me, I'll try them all!

I wanted to go to the AS anyways because my Mac has been freezing up recently. Not much, just micro-stutters here and there, I first realized while listening to music, it would stutter, either on youtube or Apple Music. I just have to move my mouse from one side to another rapidly for 10-15 seconds and it's easy to see the pointer's movement stoping.

Jan 13, 2019 5:19 PM in response to Loner T

Well that did it. Finishing setting up Windows on my Mac. I have a Windows VM on my external SSD, but I figured it would still be better to get it as a bootable volume performances-wise, so I wanted BootCamp to work, and you fixed it.

Must admit I knew what I had to do (thanks to you!), but I do not know at all what it is I have done.

Thank you very much for that, your help is really appreciated!

Jan 13, 2019 5:24 PM in response to _TheArchitect_

Well that did it. Finishing setting up Windows on my Mac. I have a Windows VM on my external SSD, but I figured it would still be better to get it as a bootable volume performances-wise, so I wanted BootCamp to work, and you fixed it.

Excellent. Please remember to backup macOS, Windows and create a Windows System Restore point.

Must admit I knew what I had to do (thanks to you!), but I do not know at all what it is I have done.

We have used fsck_apfs to address file system errors on the APFS Container, which cause issues when creating a FAT partition for Windows.

Bootcamp installation error : could not partition disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.