Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my MacBook Pro battery replaced?

During a Genius Bar appointment in an Apple Store, I was told my battery should be replaced. This article makes it sound as if I could get help with replacing my battery in an Apple Store. However, I was told this were not the case anymore. I'm confused.

I was told I would have to find a third-party business to have my battery replaced and would have to pay for the service, even for them just looking at my computer.

I wonder if I could just buy a battery and do it myself. I bought my MacBook Pro in mid 2009 and wonder if it has an easily removable battery.

Which battery would I have to buy?

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2019 9:27 PM

Apple's list of Vintage and Obsolete products (here) is a bit of a mess, but it does seem to include your device. Even though Apple doesn't endorse such repairs, I can link you to an iFixit tutorial on how to replace the battery yourself. I just need the year and screen size (Apple icon > About This Mac).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2019 9:27 PM in response to Brigitte5

Apple's list of Vintage and Obsolete products (here) is a bit of a mess, but it does seem to include your device. Even though Apple doesn't endorse such repairs, I can link you to an iFixit tutorial on how to replace the battery yourself. I just need the year and screen size (Apple icon > About This Mac).

Jan 12, 2019 9:01 AM in response to Fin N

Thank you for your fast reply. Yes, this list does seem to include my computer. It is a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2009, Serial Number W8*****66D. Babowa has already posted helpful links. But I would still be interested in the iFixit tutorial you are mentioning. Looking at several sources can only help.

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

How can I get my MacBook Pro battery replaced?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.