You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone please help. I just want to join two mp4 files. NOT ONE OF THE 20 OR SO 'FILE JOINERS' ON OFFER WORKS. I don't want to make a movie, convert to pdf, ALL I WANT TO DO IS JOIN TWO FILES, SIMPLY. For a PC user, hjsplit does this, effortlessly.

That's what's on my mind. Why is Apple simply unable to provide this simple, simple service?

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 6:03 AM

21 replies

Jan 12, 2019 8:24 AM in response to carey134

Okay. Then I have to assume your files were split as binary pieces and need to be concatenated back together. In that case, you can do this in Terminal.

Example:

cat file1 file2 file3 > newfile

You can leave the files named the way they are now. You don't have to go back to the .001 and such names. Assuming there are only two files, it would be:

cat part1.mp4 part2.mp4 > movie.mp4

This is simplified and assumes the files you want to join are in the current folder Unix (Terminal) is set to. Do this:

1. Create a folder on your desktop. Keep it simple. Such as, name the folder z .
  2. Put your binary pieces into the folder.
  3. Launch Terminal from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder.
  4. Type the following in Terminal and press Enter: cd ~/Desktop/z
  5. Type cat part1.mp4 part2.mp4 > movie.mp4 , or whatever you want the output file name to be.

Test to see if the output file opens. It should.

Edit: I tried to cat two .mov files and it didn't work. You may need to first rename the files back to mp4.001 and mp4.002 .

Jan 12, 2019 7:58 AM in response to carey134

It's not absurd. It's failing to open the file because it's treating the .001 as an unknown file extension. This isn't DOS where you can join split pieces right on the command line with:

copy/b mp4.001+mp4.002 movie.mp4

Give the files the correct names and it will work. Rename the first one as part1.mp4, and the next as part2.mp4. Now open them in QuickTime to put the two together.

Jan 12, 2019 8:39 AM in response to carey134

QuickTime will open a proper .mp4 video. It won't if it is actually an .m4v video, or some other video format masquerading as an .mp4 file type. The annoyance with QuickTime is that it will export to a .mov, and not retain the .mp4 on the combined movie.

You can then take that .mov into Handbrake 1.2.0 and choose an appropriate Preset, and then convert to .mp4.

Jan 12, 2019 8:57 AM in response to carey134

Post a link to these files and others here can give it a try to see what's going on.

As Terence noted, if there's more than two parts, it won't work no matter what you do. All files have a header that tell the OS/app how many bytes to expect. If there's (for example) three binary parts, and you only assemble two, the resulting file will likely fail to open as the expected data size is wrong.

Someone please help. I just want to join two mp4 files. NOT ONE OF THE 20 OR SO 'FILE JOINERS' ON OFFER WORKS. I don't want to make a movie, convert to pdf, ALL I WANT TO DO IS JOIN TWO FILES, SIMPLY. For a PC user, hjsplit does this, effortlessly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.