Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set the voltage on my Quicksilver G4?

I searched high and low.

The red voltage mark on the back of my Quicksilver G4 does not have any number! It should say 115V (or close).

How do I set it correctly without breaking it?

(Has run before but no sign of power, light, no fan) Thank you.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2019 9:13 AM

According to the documentation the switch is UP for 115V and DOWN for 230V. However, the documentation also says the 115 or 230 should be displayed on the switch.

Now the fact that it has worked before could mean the power supply is toast or the fuse has operated.

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA557/en_US/PowerMacG4_DigitalAudioSetup.PDF

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2019 9:13 AM in response to Walter Wedler

According to the documentation the switch is UP for 115V and DOWN for 230V. However, the documentation also says the 115 or 230 should be displayed on the switch.

Now the fact that it has worked before could mean the power supply is toast or the fuse has operated.

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA557/en_US/PowerMacG4_DigitalAudioSetup.PDF

Jan 12, 2019 12:13 PM in response to lkrupp

Thank you Ikrupp for your response!

Although the link you posted is for a different G4 model, mine is model M 8493

Quicksilver PowerMac3,5 it helped me figure out how to set the 115 voltage.

Final questions: 

1. What is the small button under my power button for?

I found many ways to reset Power manager

2. What is the correct sequence? 

You said: “the fuse has operated.”

where is it?

Good working power cable I get no sign of power pushing the power button.

Thank you so much for your time and patience

Jan 12, 2019 3:35 PM in response to Walter Wedler

There were four Power Mac G4 models that came out They were the PCI Graphics, the AGP Graphics, the Gigabit Ethernet, and the Digital Audio. The Digital Audio model was known as the Quicksilver. That’s why I posted the Digital Audio manual. As for the fuse it is inside the case on one of the boards so unless your are familiar with and comfortable with working on electronics you may want to take it somewhere to be looked at. Here is something from iFixit...

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/511177/Is+there+a+fuse+for+this

Jan 13, 2019 11:55 AM in response to lkrupp

Ikrupp believe me, I am very grateful I can talk to you and other experienced Mac people on this site!!

Thank you for this very helpful link that you posted about the troubleshooting-sequence!

Since I covered all but the power supply verification, I will do that next. I will post back with my voltage checks.

By my research there were 3 Quicksilver models. Although they shared the model ID M8493 and identifier PowerMac3,5  they had different order numbers and were different by Processor-speed, RAM, VRAM, and Storage:

Power Macintosh G4 733 (Quicksilver)

733 MHz PowerPC 7450 (G4)

mine:

Power Macintosh G4 867 (Quicksilver)

867 MHz PowerPC 7450 (G4)

Power Macintosh G4 800 DP (Quicksilver)

800 MHz PowerPC 7450 (G4) x2

The front of my Quicksilver 867 is very different from the 4 Digital audio models here: 

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index-powermac-g4.html

Thank you so very much for your time and patience!

Jan 13, 2019 4:42 PM in response to Walter Wedler

Service Source Power Mac G4 gave me the 22 pin plus 4 pin connector for my Quicksilver with voltage tests.

I got no voltage on all of the tests meaning that either the fuse in the supply burned or the supply is toast. Will pull the supply and open for a fuse.

If you are still reading this what would be the best to do if I need a power supply? 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.