Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Metadata in Pages Documents

How do you remove metadata in Apple Pages documents?

Thank you in advance for considering the following (based on comments concerning previous posts):

-Mircrosoft Word has a metadata removal tool built in. Thus, assuming access to Word, I understand one approach is to convert to Microsoft Word and then remove the metadata. The document, of course, could then be converted back to Pages.

-Don't answer "convert to PDF. " That isn't a helpful answer since pdf documents can't be easily edited by the recipient.

-It is routine for people who share documents with competitors to remove metadata, so this isn't an invitation to start discussing why metadata needs to be removed.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 1:32 PM

The only "metadata" that you have any user control over in a Pages v7.3 document is the Author in Pages : Preferences : General. This information is not exported to Word .docx, or PDF. If you were tracking changes between Pages and Word users, then it is possible the Author name may appear in that context. I set my Author field to "Collaborator". 😎

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2019 1:32 PM in response to RatherBeMountainBiking

The only "metadata" that you have any user control over in a Pages v7.3 document is the Author in Pages : Preferences : General. This information is not exported to Word .docx, or PDF. If you were tracking changes between Pages and Word users, then it is possible the Author name may appear in that context. I set my Author field to "Collaborator". 😎

Jan 14, 2019 11:46 AM in response to RatherBeMountainBiking

Metadata is only meaningful in a Pages discussion when considering Pages '09 v4.n documents which allowed entry of six metadata fields in the content via the Document Inspector : Info panel. Subsequent Pages v5 and later applications, which were entirely different application architecture, dropped this Info panel means of entering metadata into a document. All that they allow is the Author name from the Pages Preferences : General panel.

The only application that can open, and alter the respective Pages document metadata is the version of Pages that created it (unless on Mojave, where Pages '09 no longer functions). The other requirement is that you are the original author, in the original user account. Regardless of the Pages document application source, a Finder Get Info will not reveal any of the document metadata, whether solely the Author, or other as allowed in Pages '09.

Opening any Pages '09 v4.n document in Pages v5 through current only shows the author name, regardless of other metadata that may be in the older document format.

The only feature in any version of Pages related to Microsoft Word is the export document format supported.

Metadata in Pages Documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.