Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LED Cinema Display stops responding after "Display Audio" selected

When the LED CD is connected to my MacBook Pro, it adds two sound outputs:

• LED Cinema Display – via the thunderbolt connector
  • Display Audio – via the USB connector

Sometimes, if I accidentally switch to the Display Audio output, the screen goes black and the MacBook has a little seizure – it looks like it's continuously trying and failing to connect to the screen. It doesn't come back no matter how long I leave it.

Unplugging and replugging the display connector cables makes no difference.

What usually works is if I unplug the cables, completely unplug the power to the display (disconnecting the power cable from the back of the screen), leave it for 10 minutes or so and then plug everything back in.

I tried doing a firmware update on the display, but the latest one says the monitor doesn't need it.

As I type this, I realise someone is going to tell me to reset the SMC - I can't understand how that could be the problem, but I'll go do that and report back. That way if someone else has this issue they'll see this.

But has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a known fix?

Tim

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 8:09 PM

OK, so here's my very technical workaround:

Since it seems to be the Display Audio output that triggers the problem and that's associated with the USB connection, I'm just leaving the USB cable disconnected.

That means I can't use the camera or mic on the Cinema Display, but there's a camera on my laptop and I usually use a headset for the mic anyway. Also means I have to use an external USB hub instead of the convenient one on the back of the display, but I had an under-utilised one already setup.

All in all, no big deal. Weird I didn't think of this before.

So, if any other LED Cinema Display user stumbles in here with the same issue - that's how I'm coping with it. Not resolved, but I don't need to buy a new screen because of simmering fury.

I'll call it a win.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2019 8:09 PM in response to timbomb

OK, so here's my very technical workaround:

Since it seems to be the Display Audio output that triggers the problem and that's associated with the USB connection, I'm just leaving the USB cable disconnected.

That means I can't use the camera or mic on the Cinema Display, but there's a camera on my laptop and I usually use a headset for the mic anyway. Also means I have to use an external USB hub instead of the convenient one on the back of the display, but I had an under-utilised one already setup.

All in all, no big deal. Weird I didn't think of this before.

So, if any other LED Cinema Display user stumbles in here with the same issue - that's how I'm coping with it. Not resolved, but I don't need to buy a new screen because of simmering fury.

I'll call it a win.

LED Cinema Display stops responding after "Display Audio" selected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.