Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD Samsung evo 860 not working on mac

good evening.

durinf the past year I have been experienced a lot of speed problems on my iMac 27 (late 2013), so I decided to move to a SSD internal drive to speed the system up a little bit.

the idea was easy but execution wasn’t so mutch.

I init the ssd vaya SATA to usb case using the iMac hd. I plugged it on the iMac and at first boot it worked well. Then, the question mark signal appeared an d no news.

i tried to restart it by using either the recovery mode, an usb stick, or the (former internal drive, jow as external) by connecting it as a usb drive and restarting. Using the option key. No result.

the best I had was the installing process getting stucked in a “two minutes left” status. Then the system reset and no installation stops.

I tried to restart with no luck.

can you help me with this? Txs?

Posted on Jan 14, 2019 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2019 8:28 AM

The Samsung "Evo" line of SSDs do not enjoy a good reputation among Mac users. My recommendation is to replace it with one that does.

The only SSDs I have used and can recommend are the OWC / MacSales "Mercury Extreme Pro 6G" models. All of them have continued to work well beyond their original five year warranty period.

There may be other models worthy of consideration but Samsung's "Evo" models are not among them. Return it for a refund.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2019 8:28 AM in response to jBrinox

The Samsung "Evo" line of SSDs do not enjoy a good reputation among Mac users. My recommendation is to replace it with one that does.

The only SSDs I have used and can recommend are the OWC / MacSales "Mercury Extreme Pro 6G" models. All of them have continued to work well beyond their original five year warranty period.

There may be other models worthy of consideration but Samsung's "Evo" models are not among them. Return it for a refund.

SSD Samsung evo 860 not working on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.