Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac G5: Stuck On Boot Screen

When I boot up my PowerMac G5 I hear the chime indicating the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) is successful and I see the Apple logo on screen but no loading wheel and if I leave it going for 5-10 minutes the fans become very loud. I have searched for solutions online but never found one that worked. I have tried the Apple Hardware Test which does boot up and run and all the results come up successful. I had erased the hard drive when it was working so I can do a clean install of Mac OS X but I had the same problem I mentioned above when booting from the install DVD.

Current Pro Desktops

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 3:07 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jan 15, 2019 8:13 AM in response to KeenanTech

Welcome!

Just to clarify, the install DVD fails to complete the boot? Before you erased the HD could you boot in Safe Mode (SHIFT key held at boot)?

What OS version are your trying to install? Is the install disk an original Apple disk or a disk burned from a download?

Have you tried a PMU reset? The location of the reset button is shown in images on this site if you scroll down quite a way:

http://www.macusersguide.com/2009/05/resetting-pram-nvram-pmu/

Press for no more than one second, then release.

Please don't take offense if this sounds trivial but I have to ask. We see a huge number of people with Gen 1 Mac Pro desktops posting here in the PowerMac section because of the strong similarity between the G5 Tower and early Mac Pro Tower form factors. The Intel-powered Mac Pros have different troubleshooting procedures than the PowerPC-powered G5s. If we aren't sure which a poster has, someone could give some very bad advice. I simply want to make sure that history is not repeating itself and that you get appropriate advice

The G5 has one optical drive bay and the Mac Pro has two

Jan 16, 2019 8:30 AM in response to KeenanTech

Thanks for the model clarification. That's a G5. I had to address that possibility--there are more Mac Pro misposts started in this section than real G5s!

If it is a genuine Apple OS system install/restore disk that shipped with a Mac, or a full retail install disk, the OS version should be printed on it:

G5s can run no higher OS version than OS10.5.8 Leopard.

Running out of ideas. It doesn't sound like a power supply issue. What it sounds like more than anything is an expansion card that has loosened. The Beige G3s were bad about this, especially their unique "personality card" that , if loose, prevented booting.

All I can say at this point is to test the hard drive and make sure no cards or cables are loose or have dirty contacts.

Jan 16, 2019 9:09 AM in response to Allan Jones

The discs that I have do look similar to that eMac one but mine for some reason doesn't say the Mac OS X version but I think it might've been 10.3, anyways thanks for the advice ;) I will definitely check the cables and contacts and get back to you.

By the way I live in Perth, Australia so I receive these messages at around 12 AM so I will probably be late when replying.

Jan 16, 2019 9:31 AM in response to KeenanTech

The discs that I have do look similar to that eMac one but mine for some reason doesn't say the Mac OS X version

That could mean it is an "Up to Date" disks, better described as "catch me up" disks. They were often bundled with models that were shipped about the time of a major system upgrade. We got one in August 2002 with a eMac that shipped just as OS10.2 Jaguar released. The computer had 10.1 installed but came with a 10.2 catch-up disk as the first thing we saw when we opened the box. They will not work as full install disks.

Grey disks like the eMac disk I posted are usually model-specific. Burned disks almost never work.

By the way I live in Perth, Australia so I receive these messages at around 12 AM so I will probably be late when replying.

That is not a problem. I've been doing this for 17+ years and fully embrace the international nature of these forums. I'm retired so have a lot of time to check in here.

Jan 17, 2019 8:56 AM in response to KeenanTech

Have you tried a fresh PRAM battery/ Long shot and most post Beige g3 Macs didn't need a strong PRAM batt like the older boxes did, but might be worth a try.

If you are clever with a multimeter you can check the power supply pinouts. I found this discussion with data on another forum site that may help with that: PowerMac G5 Power Supply Issues

As I've researched this I find that, like the G4 MDD, the PS may be the weak link. If you shop for a new or rebuilt one, you need to match your sub-model (A1047) to the right PS as there were several versions.

PowerMac G5: Stuck On Boot Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.