Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 2 won't charge 100% when left overnight on my iPad Pro (3rd Gen) which is charging

I find that if I leave my iPad Pro (3rd gen) plugged in to charge overnight AND I leave my Apple Pencil 2 on top of it to charge also, however; only my iPad charges 100% while the Apple Pencil only charges a little bit more then where it started the evening before, definetly not completely.

I have tried several things including making sure my iPad is awake when I set it up in the evening to charge.

Has anyone else seen this issue? And have you figured out what to do to make sure both charge overnight?

Richard

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2019 8:02 AM

I found the Apple Pencil 2 occasionally misreports its charge state - left attached to iPad Pro for several hours, removed and re-attached it reported 0% charge. Unpaired ("Forget this device") and re-paired, instantly at 100%. HTH

6 replies

Jan 15, 2019 7:14 AM in response to TekWarrior

I'm not having any issue with my Pencil 2 being charged to 100% when charging overnight. Reboot your iPad and see if that changes anything.

Press and quickly release the volume up button

Press and quickly release the volume down button

Press and keep holding the power button (hold past the swipe to shut down) until the Apple Logo appears, then let go

You could also try unpairing the Pencil, then pairing it again as another step.

Jan 20, 2019 8:42 AM in response to TekWarrior

I have the same problem, and brought it to the attention of Apple Support. One of the engineering teams within Apple has been made aware of this issue, and are actively reviewing the logs from my iPad to determine what the cause of the issue is. I suspect it is a software bug, as I replaced both my iPad and Apple Pencil and had the same problem with the second set.

Jan 22, 2019 6:21 AM in response to TekWarrior

I'm having all kinds of issues with my Apple Pencil 2. Even when my iPad Pro 11" is charging, the pencil loses battery power and eventually just dies. Removing it and replacing it makes it charge back up, but most of the time it will not even go all the way up to a full charge.

The iPad Pro 11" has issues too. Factory reset and did not reinstall 3rd party apps, and this thing will not hard reset nor will it Power Off. I have to go into Settings > General > Shut Down to get it into sleep mode.

I've spoken with Apple Support on the phone and even the phone tech said both devices were having some issues. He gave me a support number so that I can make an appointment at the Genius Bar. Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one having an issue with the new Apple Pencil.

Apple Pencil 2 won't charge 100% when left overnight on my iPad Pro (3rd Gen) which is charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.