Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to migrate data but my old mac pro cant find new imac. but the new I mac can see the old mac

I am trying to migrate data from my old mac pro. It uses OS X el Capitan to a new Imac. The new one sees the old one but the old mac does not..durr

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 7:06 AM

6 replies

Jan 16, 2019 3:14 AM in response to hugh.b

The older Mac will be running a spinning hard drive formatted Mac OS X Extended (journaled) with the HFS+ file system.

Your new Mac has probably got an SSD or Fusion drive that will be formatted using the new APFS file system. The El Capitan install cannot see/ read APFS formatted drives. This may be the issue you are having.

Use Migration Assistant on the new Mac to transfer your personal data from the old Mac to the new mac. Do not migrate any System data.

Jan 16, 2019 3:32 AM in response to hugh.b

Yes I know and I explained why, use the new Mac to migrate your personal data from the old Mac.

Read my initial post again.

You said the new Mac sees the old Mac, so what is the problem.

To repeat El Capitan cannot and will never read or see drives that use the APFS file system. so use Migration Assistant in your Applications/ Utilities folder on the iMac to transfer your personal data from the MacPro.

OR using the iMac just drag and drop your files from your MacPro.

I am trying to migrate data but my old mac pro cant find new imac. but the new I mac can see the old mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.