Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A new folder is being created every time I take a screenshot

I'm having a very strange problem. I changed the default location of where my Mac saves screenshots to. What I'm noticing is that every time I take a new screenshot, the new screenshot is saved in 2 separate folders: one of them is the new location that I specified, I named this one 'Screenshots'. The other location is another folder somewhere in my documents folder and it's called 'Images'. I tried deleting this 'Images' folder but every time I take a new screenshot it recreates the folder in the same location.

I've tried resetting the save location to the desktop.

Thanks for any help with this.

MacBook (Starting Late 2009)

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2019 10:06 AM

Is it possible that some folder is actually an alias or symlink to this one?

Try this: create a new folder on your Desktop, let's call it "test"; elect to send screenshots to this folder.

Do they still appear on the folder you mentioned above?

5 replies

Jan 15, 2019 7:54 AM in response to skateboardtshirt

Just a wild guess, but I'd say this "Images" folder may not be a folder at all, but a smart folder.

Does it look like a "normal" folder? Where exactly is it located?

On a different direction, you may try resetting everything related to screenshots.

Type the following on a Terminal window, then log out and log back in:

defaults delete com.apple.screencapture

After that, screenshot location should be the Desktop, and format should be png (the defaults).

Jan 15, 2019 1:41 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hey Luis,

You were right that there was something 'linked' somehow between the 2 folders. I did like you said and made a test folder and started sending screenshots there and they weren't being sent to the 2 other folders. Then I deleted the other 2 folders and now everything's working fine. Also I realized it wasn't accepting all of my paths because I didn't know you had to add a \ before the space any time where you have spaces in file/folder names within your path.

Thanks for your help!

A new folder is being created every time I take a screenshot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.