Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR: Wi-fi Calling Stopped working

Got the iPhone XR a couple of weeks ago. Out of the box Wi-fi calling worked great. No issues whatsoever. Woke up this morning and no Wi-Fi Calling symbol. Tried to make a call and it says I have no network connection but it is connected to Wifi. (See attached graphic) I was hoping the XR would finally stabilize Wi-fi calling issues. Hopes dashed., but apparently not. I have searched the web far and wide and absolutely no one seems to have a good answer as to why Wi-fi calling stops working or what the root problem is.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2019 7:25 AM

Tim, Thanks for the reply. I don't think either of these things apply. I've got a great connection. Tested this morning at 250 Mb. Zero packet loss from East Coast to West Coast. Has been working just fine up to now and no router settings have changed. Searching about this feature (for any carrier) shows it is a problem for every single one of them, so this leads me to believe it's an software implementation problem. Notice that the error message from iOS is dead wrong. It says that I have no Wifi connection. But I do have a connection and it works fine in any other context.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2019 7:25 AM in response to KiltedTim

Tim, Thanks for the reply. I don't think either of these things apply. I've got a great connection. Tested this morning at 250 Mb. Zero packet loss from East Coast to West Coast. Has been working just fine up to now and no router settings have changed. Searching about this feature (for any carrier) shows it is a problem for every single one of them, so this leads me to believe it's an software implementation problem. Notice that the error message from iOS is dead wrong. It says that I have no Wifi connection. But I do have a connection and it works fine in any other context.

Jan 16, 2019 8:56 AM in response to wabbott81

The notice is not "dead wrong". It does not say you don't have a Wifi connection. It says you don't have a network connection. There is a difference. It's saying that the WiFi network you are connected to is not allowing the data traffic required for WiFi calling to communicate with your cellular carrier. It could be your WiFi network. It might be the internet service provider. It might be a problem at your carrier.

Jan 16, 2019 9:04 AM in response to KiltedTim

Tim, with respect "You do not have a network connection" is false. I do have a network connection and a really good one. It may be the carrier (having a history with AT&T, it seems sort of probable) but if you search for the problem, it's looks like no carrier has figured out to do it right and the really terrible thing is that Apple has given no way to diagnose the problem. And that is just a poor situation for the consumer that Apple needs to consider. If something doesn't work, there should be a way to figure out exactly why it's not working.

Jan 16, 2019 9:44 AM in response to wabbott81

More information: There is another iPhone XR in the house. I checked and WiFi calling is working on it. Same exact model bought at the same time. Both connected to same Wifi device, connected to same ISP. Both the running the same exact version of iOS. As I said before, I hard reset the device, turned every imagineable feature (Wifi Calling, Airplane mode, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc etc.) on and off. Still no Wifi calling.

iPhone XR: Wi-fi Calling Stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.