Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Oh! Radio stations!

The one thing that I always wanted my HomePod to do was to be able to play radio stations without the need to stream via AirPlay from my MBP or iPhone.

I listen to Absolute Radio, and noticed this week that they have changed one of their jingles from "Ask your Google Hub or Alexa to play Absolute Radio" to "Ask your smart speaker" ... so I said "Hey Siri, play Absolute Radio" and guess what ... it did!!!

I also got it to play Capital and Heart radio, but not any of the BBC stations, nor talkSPORT or LBC. But it's a start .... :)

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 5:02 AM

Progress, but there is no good technical reason why HomePod couldn't be able to play any Internet radio station. Of course that might reduce the need to use Apple Music's own radio stations, so I can see why Apple aren't rushing to provide a way to create custom Internet Radio stations. 😕

tt2

3 replies

Feb 3, 2019 9:39 PM in response to Tractorgirl

In the meantime, there’s the app Radio Shorties. It allows you to verbally tell Siri to play a vast number of radio stations, including the BBC variants. I use it to play my favorite radio stations on HomePod. (And to discover new stations.) But I think it’s still using AirPay off your phone or iPad; you just don’t have to physically use the phone to do it.

Oh! Radio stations!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.