You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st gen iPad won’t log into App Store

I've done enough research online to understand that 1st gen iPad being stuck at iOS 5.1.1 is dated and few apps will still support it. I also know there are so-called "tricks" which suppose to show how we can still install these apps via an older version of iTunes.

This article dated 7th Jan 2019 teaches the above.

https://www.lifewire.com/uses-1st-generation-ipad-1994359

Now, I got a 1st gen iPad 1 (original) and wanted to use it as a kid's iPad and maybe kitchen recipe screen, but after resetting it, I realized that it doesn't even allow me to login to the App Store noe iTune Store! It will ask me to login, but gives an error about needing the latest iOS and I cannot connect to the store : "iOS Update Required. The requested action requires the latest version of iOS".

Really? Logging into the store requires iOS upgrade now?

I've not even reach the step of downloading the app, but again, just logging in to store apparently requires iOS upgrade. That is, the iTune Store and App Store in the iPad now requires latest iOS to login?

That is, without ability to login, I can't even download ANY apps at all, beside the dated safari and a non-functional old YouTube, etc.

This is a question of whether Apple has stop allowing 1st gen iPad to login to App/iTune store?

I can run the old iTune Apps on my PC which allow Apps download without problem, and I could "purchase" the apps which I believe still have supported apps for iOS 5.1.1, but I just can't believe that Apple prevent logging into the App Store from within the iPad.

Someone please confirm if this is true. Thank you.

BTW, list of apps that may still support iOS 5.1.1 here:

http://findoldapps.com/us/any_category/5.1.1/ipad/updated_date/desc/30/1

But then again, they are useless, if I cannot login to the store as of 19th Jan 2019

iPad

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 11:00 AM

There are no replies.

1st gen iPad won’t log into App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.