Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropouts when bouncing in Logic X

All of a sudden I am getting constant dropouts when I bounce in logic X. It tends to be effects tails and long sustained releases of instruments like cymbals. The dropouts happen randomly in a different place every time. It is driving me crazy because I have to listen to the track over and over carefully to make sure nothing has been cut off. I never had this problem before. I have not updated my system but I recently updated my Logic. Anyone else having this issue? I would welcome any suggestions.

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 1:44 PM

Have you tried quitting Logic and restarting your Mac? No? Then do that. Wait for 5 minutes after the desktop has appeared (all kind of background tasks run in those first five minutes or so), then reopen your project. Chances are, the issues have cleared up. If not, then try to freeze the tracks that give problems - if they sound fine "frozen", then the bounce will be OK too.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2019 1:44 PM in response to linoleum

Have you tried quitting Logic and restarting your Mac? No? Then do that. Wait for 5 minutes after the desktop has appeared (all kind of background tasks run in those first five minutes or so), then reopen your project. Chances are, the issues have cleared up. If not, then try to freeze the tracks that give problems - if they sound fine "frozen", then the bounce will be OK too.

Jan 18, 2019 2:46 PM in response to Eriksimon

Thank you for your suggestions. I don't know what freezing tracks is but I will look into that.

I just got a new interface and removed it from my logic audio preferences and just used the Core computer audio on my mac. I had no problems or dropouts. So it looks like some kind of incompatibility between the software and audio hardware. I don't know if I would get better results bouncing with the interface, anyone know? Now I have to try and troubleshoot that. It's frustrating especially on a deadline!

Jan 18, 2019 3:35 PM in response to Wilddrums

Yes it happens in both offline and real time. It is completely random, a different place or places every time. A few times it made it through without a glitch. This is a total mystery because I never had this problem before in Logic. Good to know as a last resort I can just remove the interface, although what a pain. I will explore this with the interface manufacturer next.

Jan 18, 2019 4:14 PM in response to Wilddrums

I did just update my Logic a few days ago. I don't remember problems before that, but actually I just started doing a lot of bouncing in the last couple of days. My interface is also very new, I've only had it for a couple of weeks. So that may be the answer. Compatibility between the new version of Logic and my interface. When I resolve the issue I will post again. I have a Universal Audio Apollo Twin.

Jan 21, 2019 2:23 PM in response to linoleum

I just had a conversation with an Apple Logic support representative. He also suggested freezing the tracks. I tried it and it seemed to work, so thank you Eriksimon for that suggestion. I just got an Apollo Twin MKII and I'm going to check with UA to see if they know of any driver issues with the new update of Logic Pro X.

Jan 22, 2019 5:30 AM in response to linoleum

One super nasty gotcha I had after major upgrades and dropouts, is the license keys of 3rd party plugins.

Sometimes with big upgrades of Logic or MacOSX, at least with Ozone, Flux and Slate plugins, I see trouble validating the license key in the upgraded situation and then go into demo mode, which often has built-in annoyances like random dropouts. If so, click the suspected plugins, it will say "demo mode!" or something.

Re-enter the license key (which of course you kept somewhere where you can find it back :-) ). A similar problem can be that the iLok key can't be detected (if you have one), I once solved it by shutdown + startup. Normal restart was not enough. which indicates crappy hardware drivers.

It is super gross because you might not notice until months later, most people don't use each plugin on each production, and Logic's after-upgrade plugin self-check procedure does not check for license problems.

Dropouts when bouncing in Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.