Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Apple Watch with other SIM cards in other countries?

I’m considering buying a new Apple Watch. I tried the Samsung watch as I do prefer a round face and more traditional looking watch than the square Apple Watch. However I wasn’t that happy with the Samsung so I returned it. But I’m happy to give the Apple Watch a go soon. My concern is I do travel a lot and I have local SIM cards for the countries I frequent. So will my Apple Watch still be able to connect with cellular when using different SIM cards in different countries? I read somewhere the watch doesn’t have roaming, but what if the iPhone, which is unlocked, is using a local SIM card in another country, will the watch still be able to connect and be used the same way as it does when home?

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 6:00 PM

The GPS only Apple Watch just uses Bluetooth to piggy back on top of whatever Cellular network the iPhone is using. That is to say, the Apple Watch is just a glorified Bluetooth headset for the iPhone. So if the iPhone is happen with the local SIM, the Apple Watch doesn't care. As long as your Apple Watch can see your iPhone, it can do everything it can at home when you are away.

However, the Cellular Apple Watch uses an eSIM (not a physical SIM). The Cellular Apple Watch is generally added to your iPhone's cellular plan at a $10-15/month extra cost. And ONLY cellular carriers that support the Apple Watch eSIM will offer such a plan. HOWEVER, if you get a Cellular Apple Watch and are in a country where the Apple Watch cellular radio will not work, you can still piggy back on top of your iPhones cellular via Bluetooth. That is to say, when all else fails, the Apple Watch can always use the iPhone's radios as long as the iPhone is within range.

Does that help?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2019 6:00 PM in response to 8Scott8

The GPS only Apple Watch just uses Bluetooth to piggy back on top of whatever Cellular network the iPhone is using. That is to say, the Apple Watch is just a glorified Bluetooth headset for the iPhone. So if the iPhone is happen with the local SIM, the Apple Watch doesn't care. As long as your Apple Watch can see your iPhone, it can do everything it can at home when you are away.

However, the Cellular Apple Watch uses an eSIM (not a physical SIM). The Cellular Apple Watch is generally added to your iPhone's cellular plan at a $10-15/month extra cost. And ONLY cellular carriers that support the Apple Watch eSIM will offer such a plan. HOWEVER, if you get a Cellular Apple Watch and are in a country where the Apple Watch cellular radio will not work, you can still piggy back on top of your iPhones cellular via Bluetooth. That is to say, when all else fails, the Apple Watch can always use the iPhone's radios as long as the iPhone is within range.

Does that help?

Jan 18, 2019 6:07 PM in response to BobHarris

Thank you for your reply. It does answer my question. So I guess for those other SIM cards I have in other countries, if they allow the Apple Watch on the plan, I can still send and receive without my iPhone nearby. Otherwise I’ll need my iPhone nearby to piggyback via the phone. I normally have my phone with me at all times, but in the off occasion I forgot my phone I wanted to know if I would still be able to receive phone calls. If the network I’m using didn’t support the watch, I guess no. If the network I was using did support the watch, I guess yes.

Thanks again for your answer.

Jan 18, 2019 6:38 PM in response to 8Scott8

I should add, that the Apple Watch tends to just support the radio frequencies of the region, so it is also possible that in a region that uses frequencies your Apple Watch does not support, you would be back to pigging backing on top of your iPhone.

The Apple Watch is a rather small device to cram every feature of the iPhone inside of and still have room for a battery and not weigh a ton.

Connecting Apple Watch with other SIM cards in other countries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.