Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New nac pro with TB 2 ports?

Logic pro x

What are the chances of the new macpro coming with TB2 ports as well as TB3?

I have decided against the mac mini as it has NO TB 2 ports!

is there no chance of the 2019 Mac Pro coming with TB 2 ports?

I know no one knows, but if the chances are none, then I will get a refurbished one.

thank you.

Posted on Jan 18, 2019 11:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 3:24 AM

Hi

Given that the only current model Mac that Apple offer with TB2 ports is the ( hardly current) 2013 MacPro cylinder, I'd say the chances of any new models having TB2 ports is zero.

Simply using a TB3-TB2 adaptor, TB3- xxx adaptor or a TB Dock/hub has solved every connection requirement that I have here.

CCT

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 3:24 AM in response to kerochan

Hi

Given that the only current model Mac that Apple offer with TB2 ports is the ( hardly current) 2013 MacPro cylinder, I'd say the chances of any new models having TB2 ports is zero.

Simply using a TB3-TB2 adaptor, TB3- xxx adaptor or a TB Dock/hub has solved every connection requirement that I have here.

CCT

Jan 19, 2019 8:00 AM in response to kerochan

Hi

The video seems to show one person's rant, regardless of wether he is a professional and/or he once worked for Apple.

I have had no issues other than needing to source new adaptors. I suspect that there are plenty of other professionals quietly getting on with their business with the current Mac computer range.

CCT

Jan 19, 2019 8:09 AM in response to kerochan

Hi

Further, though dongles/adaptors might be contentious, both these videos refer to their use on the go with a MacBook, rather than the computers you seem to be considering. Such adaptors with a desktop Mac are working fine here.

Either way, I doubt very much that any new Mac would ever have a TB2 ( now legacy, following the path much as SCSI, FW400/800, eSATA, or even serial printer ports).

One solution to avoiding dongles/adaptors would be to buy new external devices, just as we did with printers, external hard drives etc., and even audio interfaces and MIDI controllers/MIDI interfaces.

CCT

Jan 19, 2019 8:33 AM in response to CCTM

Hi CCT

Yep I agree about that first video being one persons rant etc...! fair point

He is right though saying that we are living in the present! at this moment in time far more people use TB2 and USB 3 equipment than TB3

I really did enjoy the 2nd video however! I am glad you have no problems with your adapters of course, though I had 2 x DVi to Mini Display port adaptors for my old computer, a G5 tower (not on the go) and I had problems with them both (and both genuine Apple adapters!) , having anything extra in the connection change is liable to problems.

After all this I think you are right about any new computers including TB2 unfortunately!

New nac pro with TB 2 ports?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.