Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clicks and pops on audio recording

Help - after having updated to logic 10.4.2 i have been getting some intermittent click and pops when recording audio. It is serious as I am trying to run a professional studio, I have now had 2 sessions ruined! I haven’t changed any settings or anything like that. It has been working perfectly for the last year. I am only recording audio tracks and I am 99% sure that the audio I was monitoring going into the computer had no clicks but when I came to playback the files they were there across multiple tracks, but not all of them. They are definitely there on the actual audio files and not occuring just on playback. Buffer size is on medium as it has always been. Recording to external glyph studio drive as previously (plenty of space on it). 

A few other things have also gone a bit weird - previously a logic session would open up very fast but now it seems to get stuck loading the gain plugin for maybe a minute. Also when recording multiple tracks (usually about 20) when I stop recording a bar comes up that says ‘normalising’ which takes a second to do its thing. It didn’t do that before and I have no idea what it would be normalising, I am not bouncing down. I have no idea if these are connected. 

Can anyone offer any helpful suggestions? please?

imac i7 2017 32gb ram ssd logic 10.4.2

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 10:53 AM

First, are you sure It's Logic 10.4.2 and Not 10.4.3? The current version is 10.4.4 and it corrects a lot of the problems of 10.4.3.

Did you upgrade the computers operating system as well, if so why? In fact if you're trying to run a professional studio why do you change something when everything is working well?

Do you have the computer set to auto-upgrade apps and MacOs? I hope you have backups, the first thing I would do is revert to the previous version of Logic that was working well. If you upgraded the computer's operating system all bets are off.

From the Upper left Logic menu under Preferences, try the "Reset All Logic Preferences Except Key Commands" selection. You may need to manually change Preferences, Input/Output Devices, I/OBuffer and any other settings you previously used.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2019 10:53 AM in response to bboss

First, are you sure It's Logic 10.4.2 and Not 10.4.3? The current version is 10.4.4 and it corrects a lot of the problems of 10.4.3.

Did you upgrade the computers operating system as well, if so why? In fact if you're trying to run a professional studio why do you change something when everything is working well?

Do you have the computer set to auto-upgrade apps and MacOs? I hope you have backups, the first thing I would do is revert to the previous version of Logic that was working well. If you upgraded the computer's operating system all bets are off.

From the Upper left Logic menu under Preferences, try the "Reset All Logic Preferences Except Key Commands" selection. You may need to manually change Preferences, Input/Output Devices, I/OBuffer and any other settings you previously used.

Jan 19, 2019 11:27 AM in response to Pancenter

Yes definitely 10.4.2 ... I had updated the os a couple of months ago (never again!!!), it was my mistake, I just got so sick of the annoying 'you have updates' dialog that just comes up again and again - auto update is off and I always wait a good long time before updating which is probably why I must have updated to 10.4.2 just before 10.4.3 was out.

I will try reset all prefs but my worry is I won't discover whether the problem is fixed or not until I am in the middle of another session. It is hard to be sure because it seems to be intermittent.

Maybe I should update to 10.4.4 as well whilst I am about it, hmm don't know. Nothing to lose right at the minute.

Many thanks for your reply, i will definitely try the reset right now.

Jan 19, 2019 11:40 AM in response to bboss

10.4.4 is good here.

What OS are you on now, Sierra is very Good with 10.4.4

Usually clicks and pops are caused by the audio interface/drivers not being completely compatible or plugin that are not compatible with the New OS and causing CPU spikes. New operating systems are almost ALWAYS less efficient. Never upgrade a working system unless it's something you need for the studio, a new OS must have Proven Benefits. Always take the time to compress the previous version of Logic to a .zip file, that way you can go back.

There a hard reset where you go in and delete Logic's Preferences. I usually prefer that to the soft menu reset.

Jan 19, 2019 4:28 PM in response to Pancenter

Seeing as it was all broken anyway I went ahead and installed logic 10.4.4 and updated the os as well (10.14.2 i think).

I did a few test recordings and can't seem to replicate the clicks and pops, it is probably waiting until I have an important recording to do before starting again. I won't relax until after a few sessions, intermittent is the worst!

I didn't know which preference files to delete so I did a soft reset. Are they in the library somewhere?

I am hopeful I can salvage my damaged sessions with a few hours of waveform editing, drawing out the clicks, I really hope so. Is there an easier way? Anyway I learned an important lesson - never update ever.

I'll be back if it still doing it. Thanks so much for your help.

clicks and pops on audio recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.