Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Cannot my IMOVIE be Saved, , Emailed or burn to DVD!? it's so hard!!

I'm on now; System 10.14.2 Mojave-- I've been wrestling for over a week in IMOVIE = Put together four movies..with family photos..and a song; I CANNOT even email it or Save a Video! IMOVIE shuts down when trying to email and...THere is NO command to SAVE video..WHY not!? My videos play fine on my screen in IMovie.. on the computer..but Won't even drag to> Toast Titanium to burn a DVD. why is this harder than hard! Thx in advance..Larry MidCenturyGuy78

Posted on Jan 19, 2019 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 7:45 AM

Hello mid-century guy,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've been running into some issues in iMovie.

Starting with saving your projects, iMovie should be saving your work as you go automatically, so there's not a save option like you'd find in some other apps. This is outlined here for reference: iMovie for Mac: Create a new movie. Are you able to re-open your projects from the Projects view in iMovie? If you're finding your projects aren't saving and iMovie shuts down while in use, there may be a few factors to look at.

First, what's the exact text of the error message you receive when iMovie shuts down? Does it only shut down when you trying to send via email, or under other circumstances as well? To look at it from another angle, are you able to send email as expected through the Mail app at the moment?

The best place to start is to make sure iMovie is updated. To do this, open the App Store and click Updates; if any appear for iMovie, install those, and then test it out.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, click Apple menu () > Restart and give it another try. Feel free to report back to the Apple Support Communities with the results.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2019 7:45 AM in response to mid-century guy

Hello mid-century guy,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've been running into some issues in iMovie.

Starting with saving your projects, iMovie should be saving your work as you go automatically, so there's not a save option like you'd find in some other apps. This is outlined here for reference: iMovie for Mac: Create a new movie. Are you able to re-open your projects from the Projects view in iMovie? If you're finding your projects aren't saving and iMovie shuts down while in use, there may be a few factors to look at.

First, what's the exact text of the error message you receive when iMovie shuts down? Does it only shut down when you trying to send via email, or under other circumstances as well? To look at it from another angle, are you able to send email as expected through the Mail app at the moment?

The best place to start is to make sure iMovie is updated. To do this, open the App Store and click Updates; if any appear for iMovie, install those, and then test it out.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, click Apple menu () > Restart and give it another try. Feel free to report back to the Apple Support Communities with the results.

Cheers!

Jan 21, 2019 12:53 PM in response to mid-century guy

Hi mid-century guy,

We appreciate that follow-up information.

Since the issue seems to happen when you try sharing via email, I recommend a few steps to try narrowing things down.

If you open the Mail app on your Mac and send a test email to yourself, does it go out and come back to your inbox? This will help make sure the issue isn't coming from the Mail side of things.

Also, you could try opening another app, like Pages or something similar, and then try sharing a file via email. Testing this would help work out if other apps might be experiencing the same issue with sharing.

I also recommend creating a test user account as shown here: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. Once you create the temporary administrator account, log in there and test by creating a quick project in iMovie (you may need to send yourself a video/picture or two so you can do this part of the test). Then, try sharing using the same method to see if the issue occurs in this new user account. This test is valuable in working out if the issue is system-wide, or if it might be specific to the user account.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

Jan 21, 2019 4:06 PM in response to mid-century guy

Hello mid-century guy,

Thanks for the reply. Knowing that your Mail account works as expected helps. There are still steps you can take to resolve this.

Were you able to try sharing an iMovie project using the test user account steps suggested above? This would tell you if the issue is affecting usage of iMovie in just this user account, or it's an issue that's system-wide. Knowing that will help work out the best steps to take to clear up the issue (for example, reinstalling iMovie, or looking into possible user account issues).

You might also try booting your Mac into safe mode. This will prevent certain items from loading and it also runs a quick diagnostic and repair. If you find you're able to export/share while in safe mode, that narrows the issue down further: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

If you're able to try these steps, feel free to reply back to the Apple Support Communities with the results: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

Kind regards.

Jan 21, 2019 8:45 AM in response to raina_b22

Hi All...and Becky_ s22; Now..I DO have the most updated version of IMOVIE it's 10.1.10... thats not the problem; and..IMOVIE IS Saving my videos made.. right in Projects .. .. as I go along and make them; but wheenever I try to Share, or email it; Movie shuts down and says; IMovie Unexpectedly quit...IT DOES this every, single time; Why isn't there a simple;"SAVE AS Command!?? it's too frustrating for words. I don't kno what the problem is... I cannt email it..or save to my Hard Drive Even, AFTER Selecting the photos and music together, Select all' ... anyone know what the problm is?! Thx in advance! MidCenturyGuy

Jan 21, 2019 1:38 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden- and All; No..Email wasn't th problem; tests show; my email working superb.. Nothing wrong; THIS SAVING /Emailing IMOVIE is a GLITCH in the software; it doesn't work, and fails... I've made IMOVIES back on earlier programs in it..from 2008-2011 and it worked fine; Was able to SAVE the video... IMOVIE NOW is no good. nothing to correct it..and I'm not going to dial APPLE and ask for advice , it will cost me..I'm ( out of APPLE CARE as of last week..thanks MidCenturyGUY

Jan 21, 2019 4:31 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden; No-go... I booted while Holding Shift/ then I get a message; Cannot configure GS/Open whatever.. This IMOVIE is a total mess..and should be REPORTED TO APPLE. . . it's a TOTAL embarrassment; After re-booting in regular mode/ which ( it tells me to.. I"M BACK TO SQUARE ONE" VIDEO on the computer..but NO WAY TO SAVE/File ... OR EMAIL it or anything else. Apple should be embarrassed to offer such a poor/ program for a Middle/Level computer user tech like me.. Nothing doing with I"MOVIE it's horrible to say the least".

Why Cannot my IMOVIE be Saved, , Emailed or burn to DVD!? it's so hard!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.