Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

STOP AN INDIVIDUAL APP FROM TRYING TO UPDATE

Started using a 2011 MacBook Pro (OSX 10.13); this is my first foray into the Apple world. I installed the latest Samsung M2070FW printer, scanner and Easy Print Manager software from the HP site that has taken over that printer's support. Every day now I have to deal with the App Store wanting me to update with older, no longer supported Samsung printer software. I should have the option to prevent any individual app from updating, shouldn't I? I just can't find how to do it.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 10:33 AM

2 replies

Jan 21, 2019 1:27 PM in response to craigwfoster

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, craigwfoster!

I understand you want to prevent an app you've downloaded from the App Store from automatically updating. I'd be happy to show you how to do this.

This is a helpful article: Turn on Automatic Downloads or App Updates

"On your computer

You can turn on Automatic Downloads for apps for your Mac in the App Store; for music, movies, and TV shows in iTunes; and for books in Apple Books.

App Store

1. Open the App Store.
  2. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose App Store > Preferences.
  3. To turn on Automatic Downloads, select "Automatically download apps purchased on other Macs." To turn on Automatic Updates, select Automatic Updates.

I hope this answers your question.

Have a great day!

Jan 21, 2019 6:48 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for the effort, Joseph. I know that Samsung no longer supports its older printers, but rather has an arrangement with HP who now maintains printer software for them. I got the current software (released this year) from HP's support website. The App Store is now bugging me to update it, but the software they are pushing me to download is from when Samsung maintained its own printer support, dated 2013. Obviously the App Store is unaware of HP's role in developing Samsung printer software. I have contacted Apple's CEO regarding this. I'm sure he reads all those emails and will get right on it. ;) In the meantime, Apple support has guided me to stop all updates through System Preferences / App Store. This early 2011 MacBook Pro is now at the peak of its OS support cycle as it doesn't qualify to upgrade to Mojave. I can always manually update any app I have which isn't working or doesn't have all the features I need.

STOP AN INDIVIDUAL APP FROM TRYING TO UPDATE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.